Shake shake shake!???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattWright

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok I have a Shake / vibration I can not get rid of! Last winter I noticed my tires started cupping so I rotated them. And got the front end aligned on it. But at highway speeds I was getting a vibration in the steering wheel even worse when you stepped on the brakes.Balanced the tires twice. So I thought it was the front brakes. I checked them but they looked good but I replaced the front rotors and pads anyway. Took a road trip and still had a vibration waited a month or so checked the back brakes and they looked ok so when I had it up in the air it looked like the rear rotor was warped so I replaced them. But guess what I still have a Shake / vibration. I own my own body shop so I can do most of the work myself. So I ran it down to another mechanic here and he drove it and he said it could be a hub, it could be an axle going out? But it's hard to tell. So I took it back to my shop put it in 4wd and lifted it up and ran it. And started looking under it. And I didnt see anything bent or woppling? Then I had a brand new set of tires for it but was going to try to get threw the winter on the old ones but went ahead and put the new ones on. I also had a leveling kit on it and took that off. So after putting a new set of tires on it and new brakes all the way around. I still have a Shake / vibration. The mechanic said sometime you just have to start throwing parts at it!!! Well I don't like just throwing parts at it! So anyone else have this problem? I just put 4 DVD headrest in it and 2 row buckets seats! I don't want to get rid of it but don't want to keep throwing money at it either !

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
My instinct says u-joint. If it's felt in the steering wheel, it could be a u-joint on the front driveshaft.

But that doesn't explain the tire cupping. That could be bad shocks, worn wheel bearings, or some other things. When you lift the wheel off the ground and grab it, is there any play vertically or horizontally?

OP
OP
M

MattWright

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My instinct says u-joint. If it's felt in the steering wheel, it could be a u-joint on the front driveshaft.

But that doesn't explain the tire cupping. That could be bad shocks, worn wheel bearings, or some other things. When you lift the wheel off the ground and grab it, is there any play vertically or horizontally?

I checked the ball joints also and they are tight. But when I had it off the ground to check the ball joints and the key was off the steering wheel / front tires still moved and I didn't think they are suppose to do that???

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
I think that's normal - the wheels will turn a certain amount before the steering lock engages. Are you able to turn the wheels lock to lock with the key out?

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
That's strange. Take a look at your steering shaft... have someone turn the steering wheel while you're under the hood watching for slop.

OP
OP
M

MattWright

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok been working on it now for a couple more days. Micrometered the front hubs out they turned out fine. Micro metered the rotors out they where fine. Checked the rear end everything fine! Took out the front half shafts and drove it still had the Shake. Put on the stock tires and wheels! ( took off after market rims ) which I thought for sure it was them so I already had picked out new rims to order. But before ordering I put them on my 2014 GMC Denali and took it down the road and no Shake in the truck with the after market rims! So took the Yukon down the road with stock rims and guess what? Still a Shake! Getting really upset about it. Reinstalled half shafts. Stopped a Napa where I got the new brakes and they warrantied the front rotors and pads and installed and guess what? NO SHAKE!!!! What a deal!!

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out. My front rotors will be due for replacement soon. What brand did you get?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
D713M