Service stabilitrak, traction control warning :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnniev57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2011 yukon denali XL

When I start it and drive it, it's fine.....
Sometimes within 20 miles, but always within 100 miles I get the warning that pops up on my dash.

"Service stabilitrak"

"Service Traction Control"

"Traction control off"

Any quick things to try? I hate electrical gremlins.....
Nothing has changed recently on my vehicle.

Thank you for any help to look into !!!

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2011 Sierra that did similar and it was the steering wheel position sensor. At the time it was under warranty. It would come on and go off with no other symptoms. The dealership couldn’t find the issue. Because when you turned off the truck it would not reappear. It came on one day and I drove it straight there.

Stop at the auto parts store and get the codes read with the message displayed on the cluster. Google/YouTube the codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
J

Johnniev57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: I stopped at the gas station and filled up....noticed my brake lights were stuck on. Had the wifey hit the brakes once...they stayed on...hit it again, then they came off..... I'm hoping that this is because my brake switch is sticking or something. Anyone else have ideas? Thanks

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I stopped at the gas station and filled up....noticed my brake lights were stuck on. Had the wifey hit the brakes once...they stayed on...hit it again, then they came off..... I'm hoping that this is because my brake switch is sticking or something. Anyone else have ideas? Thanks
see if it comes back

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Common issue with brake switch. Not sure it goes with the warnings you are seeing. Would definitely keep you cruise control from working though. See if you can get a code when the error messages show up. Steering Wheel Position sensor is a common cause of the intermittent issues like you are seeing. Might just be a bad ground.

OP
OP
J

Johnniev57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK thanks. When I bought the truck the cruise didn't work. Everything else did. Then I replaced the brake switch and all was good!! Hmm, OK steering..... I;ll see what I can find

LRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you had the steering shaft disconnected from the steering wheel recently? Could be an issue with your clock spring as well. I did a small write up about this issue after I had the steering shaft disco'd. I had to reposition the steering wheel in the proper config before reconnecting the steering shaft.

OP
OP
J

Johnniev57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope haven't had the steering shaft disconnected.
So far so good - I have not had the warning light since I replaced the brake switch!!!!
(warning light came on almost every time we drove over 15 minutes)

Now on to the next issue!!!!

norcalboon

Reaction score
Had the same messages, replaced the steering position sensor, had a stored code. Found TSB related to that code regarding corrosion fretting in the connector. Haven’t seen messages since it was replaced a few months ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n