Service 4wd....but it works fine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThwopKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used the 4wd for the first time today, just pushed the auto 4wd button on our slightly snow covered slick roads. Came to a stop later and put it back in 2hi and SERVICE 4WD came up on the info center screen. Everything works fine and no noises so i guess ill get ti checked out when i get my tires and battery done next week.

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was this exact problem that allowed me to find this forum. I searched "service 4WD" and stumbled upon this forum. I had the same issue with my kon, the light would come on but the transfer case would engage the 4WD. I was told to try replacing the selector switch first because that would be the cheapest route. I ordered one and put it in and haven't had a problem since then. That was back in March. Try that, the switch cost me $40-$45 and took me maybe 5 minutes to install.

OP
OP
ThwopKing

ThwopKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what a buddy of mine said. We will check it out tuesday. Mine works perfectly fine tho...jus got the service 4wd on the info center. It engages and disengages totally fine.

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine's come on maybe 2 or 3 times in the last couple years, would pop up for a second and i would never get any notice about it and everything would work fine. it even popped up after i had my trans rebuilt in september. picked it up from the shop, drove around a bit and put it in 4hi and it engaged perfectly but the service light popped up and disappeared. probably nothing mechanical, most likely just electrical and in the selector switch

OP
OP
ThwopKing

ThwopKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope havent repalced it because it didnt do it at all today when i switched back and forth..so it is the switch and ill replace after the first of the year.

mtnbound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 03 burb does the same thing. but also sometimes at start-up the red neutral light comes on also. could that also be switch related? or should I be looking at something else?

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 burb does the same thing. but also sometimes at start-up the red neutral light comes on also. could that also be switch related? or should I be looking at something else?

Could be switch related but if you see the neutral light come on, change into neutral gear with the shifter and press the desired button on the transfer switch. Mine did that a couple times maybe 6 months ago and i havent seen it since i did that.

mtnbound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could be switch related but if you see the neutral light come on, change into neutral gear with the shifter and press the desired button on the transfer switch. Mine did that a couple times maybe 6 months ago and i havent seen it since i did that.

Thats exactly what I do. It seams that it only does this after I use 4wd and when the weather turns cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts