SEL and Both Directionals light solid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayC33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello guys, thank you for this great resource, I haven't posted much but have been following this form for a while now, and it has really helped me alot with my 2003 Suburban.
Unfortunately I have not yet been able to find an answer for my current issue. I have a 2003 Suburban LT, 1500, 5.3 Flex, 4 wheel drive. I had oil pressure problems with the original engine at approximately 200K. I am just finishing up replacing that engine with one out of a 2004 5.3 flex suburban. However when i hook up the battery I hear clicking, sounds like it's coming from in the area of the throttle body. When I get into the truck to start it the Service Engine light and both directionals (on the dash) light solid. Aside form this with the key in run position the gauge cluster appears dead. No lights no needle movement. The SEL and directionals stay lit even with key removed.
I did also just have the cluster rebuilt (not by me) so I don't expect this to be a cluster issue, but i guess you never know.

Has anybody seen this before? I figure I might have crossed some conectors on the engine harness but with everything supposed to be keyed not sure how I could have done that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you said the cluster has just been rebuilt. The harness connector has obviously been pulled and reconnected. I would start (with everything hooked up) turn the key to the on position. The cluster should do its bulb test. If nothing occurs OR still only does what you're describing with the turn signals and cel Illuminated, start the vehicle, now press firmly against the top of the cluster, middle to right turn signal area. Press/push or tap hard but obviously not hard enough to crack the lense. Does anything happen? A lot of times the harness connectors terminals will become loose after disconnecting it.
Try that and report back...

OP
OP
J

JayC33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks I will try that tomorrow when I get back to the truck.

One more observation after my initial post, seems like it's not just the gauges that aren't working. Lights, windows ac fan. Seems like nothing is getting power other than the CEL and turn signal arrows on the dash.

OP
OP
J

JayC33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So this morning I started with M1's suggestion, and no change. Next I tried disconnecting engine sensors figuring maybe one was bad, or shorted or hooked up incorrectly. Again no change. Next I checked and cleaned electrical connections, starting at the battery positive to the red box, cleaned those connections. Continued to the starter. Then worked the grounds. Until I got to the ground from the engine block to the firewall. Cleaned that terminal and reconnected, and everything came back normal! And I finally got to test start my new to me engine. Run good. Until the lower radiator hose reminded me that I still needed to tighten the hose clamp. Oh well. I won't be making that mistake again.

Thanks M1 for your suggestion and thanks again for this resource and all the help I've gotten over the years just being a member and just reading everyone else's threads.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10.4 brother glad you got it figured out. With the extra list of symptoms you added, that pretty much ruled out the the cluster or its connection as a possible culprit and would've turn into more of a ground issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz