School me on knock sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aces-n-eights

Reaction score
2006 Tahoe, 5.3, ~200,000 miles.

A couple of months ago the CEL came on and the code told me knock sensors. I used a Torque Pro and my smart phone to get the code. Cleared the code and it came back about a week later. The truck runs fine, good gas mileage, no weird noises. I've probably put on 6000 miles since the CEL came on.

So a couple of questions...

The Torque Pro told me this is a "pending code". What the heck is a pending code?

Will this leave me on the side of the road if I go much farther without fixing it?

I've looked at a few Youtube vids on how to replace knock sensor. Doesn't look particularly hard, just a few hours to get to the part, 5 minutes to change the part and then a few hours to put it back together. Any advice if I do this repair myself?

Appreciate any advice.

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This spring I did this to my 03 5.3 w/ 200k. I was actually doing the intake manifold gasket, but since I was in their replaced the knock sensors and harness. Would recommend using ACdelco sensors and go ahead and do the intake manifold gasket if that hasn’t been done. This was my first time doing it, but it wasn’t too bad. Lots of stuff to remove to get to it, couple hours to get to it it all apart, do the work and an hour or so to put it all back together. I used a topside creeper when I did it and that was a huge help getting to all hard to reach places as opposed to climbing up and on your knees.

06Escalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my knock sensors this spring. Not hard. The real culprit is the harness. The rubber boot shrinks and pops out, exposing the knock sensor to water. i found that out after i cleaned engine then got a ks cel that never goes away. Doh! Glue harness boots down with black rtv. sealing them permanently. Replaced img and removed tb for proper cleaning. Also did the valley pan gasket ang grommets not hard its right there why not

20160513_130650.jpg 20160513_141406.jpg 20160513_141437.jpg

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
This spring I did this to my 03 5.3 w/ 200k. I was actually doing the intake manifold gasket, but since I was in their replaced the knock sensors and harness. Would recommend using ACdelco sensors and go ahead and do the intake manifold gasket if that hasn’t been done. This was my first time doing it, but it wasn’t too bad. Lots of stuff to remove to get to it, couple hours to get to it it all apart, do the work and an hour or so to put it all back together. I used a topside creeper when I did it and that was a huge help getting to all hard to reach places as opposed to climbing up and on your knees.

Topside creeper FTW. @Tonyrodz.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I replaced my knock sensors this spring. Not hard. The real culprit is the harness. The rubber boot shrinks and pops out, exposing the knock sensor to water. i found that out after i cleaned engine then got a ks cel that never goes away. Doh! Glue harness boots down with black rtv. sealing them permanently. Replaced img and removed tb for proper cleaning. Also did the valley pan gasket ang grommets not hard its right there why not

View attachment 184989 View attachment 184990 View attachment 184991

You don't really need to "seal" them with rtv, more like building a half moon "dam" to send water to the sides of the valley instead. Valley cover gasket is a good call.

OP
OP
A

aces-n-eights

Reaction score
Thanks guys, so is this something i need to get on right away? Will it leave me stranded if i don't fix it now?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you are going to keep the vehicle then bite the bullet and fix it. You can get all parts at Rock Auto and recommend Fel-Pro for gaskets. AC Delco knock sensors and have heard the Dorman harnesses are top notch. I have also heard you should not do a complete sealer seal on the harness above the sensors. Like HiHoeSilver said. Make sure all sealing surfaces are clean and dry on reassembly. If you need to save a little money, since it is running fine, you can put off for a while but just do it as soon as you can. If you can, do indoors out of winter elements, get torn down, have a friend there with you to ******** with and take pics and hand you beers and BBQ, reassemble slowly so you don't make a mistake and finish off with a shot of good bourbon like Maker's Mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667