RPO Code Vs. Door Jamb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MajorPile

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 GMC Yukon SLT 4WD. My door jamb sticker says GVWR is 6500 lbs. But the RPO code says GVWR is 6900. I have other codes that show it's equipped with a towing package.

C5HGVW RATING 6,900 LBS
KNPCOOLING SYSTEM,TRANSMISSION,HEAVY DUTY
Z82TRAILERING PACKAGE(SPECIAL)(REESE TYPE HITCH)

I'm trying to get exact numbers for towing capacity and I'd like to know if the RPO codes take priority over what is on the sticker in the door jamb?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Never paid attention to the GVWR per the RPO codes on my trucks. I would say the door jamb number is the one to use.

The RPO codes are like the brake codes are like "class" of brakes. But I may wrong on that though. Are you maxing out your towing capacity?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 GMC Yukon SLT 4WD. My door jamb sticker says GVWR is 6500 lbs. But the RPO code says GVWR is 6900. I have other codes that show it's equipped with a towing package.

C5HGVW RATING 6,900 LBS

I'm trying to get exact numbers for towing capacity and I'd like to know if the RPO codes take priority over what is on the sticker in the door jamb?
Do the VIN numbers on each sticker match the one under the window?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

C5HGVW RATING 6,900 LBS

fill it up with gas, load up expected interior items and drive it on a scale. any cat scale, truck stop or the dump should have a scale
that and the axle ratio will give you a more exact towing capacity.

OP
OP
MajorPile

MajorPile

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do the VIN numbers on each sticker match the one under the window?
I'll have to double check that, but I'm fairly certain they are. And that is what creates the confusion - what is listed on the door jamb, what I find on the internet is different from what the RPO codes say on the glove box. From what I understand the RPO code is how the vehicle is built compared to what might be listed as stock in a manual.

OP
OP
MajorPile

MajorPile

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You still have the owner's manual?

It should list it in there
I have the owners manual but what's difficult to determine is what's listed in the owners manual which is put in all the Yukons, compared to how the Yukon was ordered or built with options like a tow package.

OP
OP
MajorPile

MajorPile

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting. Never paid attention to the GVWR per the RPO codes on my trucks. I would say the door jamb number is the one to use.

The RPO codes are like the brake codes are like "class" of brakes. But I may wrong on that though. Are you maxing out your towing capacity?
My understanding is the RPO codes are the exact build specifications of my yukon - not all Yukons have a tow package, skid plate, etc.

It's the opposite, I want to make sure I'm safe and within reason when towing a trailer. The GVWR can limit the amount of "tongue" weight I can have on the hitch plus passengers and cargo in my Yukon. 6500 vs 6900 is not that big of a deal but it could give me a few more options on trailers that will be in the safe range.

From what I've read, towing capacity is one thing, but GVWR is the most important factor for determining the weight of a trailer I can safely tow.

OP
OP
MajorPile

MajorPile

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
fill it up with gas, load up expected interior items and drive it on a scale. any cat scale, truck stop or the dump should have a scale
that and the axle ratio will give you a more exact towing capacity.
Thanks, I'm more interested in the GVWR because that determine how much weight I can add too the truck and still be safe. 6500 vs 6900 give me a little more room for passengers, cargo, and trailer weight on the hitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia