Routine cold start inspection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't worked on the Tahoe much attention lately and with the cold weather I usually remote start the Tahoe from inside so I haven't heard it cold start for a while.

I figured I would pop the hood and inspect things after a cold start to see how it's doing.

This is about 8 months after a AFM delete and its about due for another oil change.

Everything looks good to me, I was monitoring the AC compressor to see if it had a harsh engagement while cold and that seemed fine.

Only strange thing to me is the coolant is a tad lower than I expected, last I checked the coolant level it was slightly overfilled so I am going to keep an eye on that.

Also you may notice my front sway bar is missing, I broke a bolt for a bracket and just removed the whole thing about 3 months ago.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't worked on the Tahoe much attention lately and with the cold weather I usually remote start the Tahoe from inside so I haven't heard it cold start for a while.

I figured I would pop the hood and inspect things after a cold start to see how it's doing.

This is about 8 months after a AFM delete and its about due for another oil change.

Everything looks good to me, I was monitoring the AC compressor to see if it had a harsh engagement while cold and that seemed fine.

Only strange thing to me is the coolant is a tad lower than I expected, last I checked the coolant level it was slightly overfilled so I am going to keep an eye on that.

Also you may notice my front sway bar is missing, I broke a bolt for a bracket and just removed the whole thing about 3 months ago.

Dude, must be nice to say it's COLD and the compressor still works. Obviously you don't have midwest cold. LOL. Compressors don't kick on below 30F to save the Compressor from cold oil. So yours works just fine.

On the coolant note, think of your engine coolant as as spring (or male member). When it's cold, it's becomes smaller. As temps rise everything enlarges and becomes bigger. This condition pushes the fluid from the block to the reservoir. Cold equals low, hot equals higher.

Do a check overnight after removing the cap when hot to burp it. (Remove slowly and listen for pressure) Tighten and see what the morning brings. Rinse and repeat. If you have a loss of coolant, then look for leaks at fittings etc. You might have had an air pocket

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Since coolant is mixed with water, a very small amount of evaporation happens over a period of time. Yes, you may have seepage/leak but it may be tight and have no problems at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubba6

Latest posts