Cold start issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1970

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have Cold start issue, it takes a long time to start. When I press the gas paddle it starts. The Automotive technician says may be it's because the fuel pump is weak! It's a 2017 Tahoe, with 81300+ km. What do you think?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can get fuel pressure readings, that would help see what’s going on.

If you try and start, without pressing the gas pedal, and it times out, does it then start the second time you turn the key?

If you turn the key to the On position and wait 10-15 seconds, will it start normally?

OP
OP
k1970

k1970

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get fuel pressure readings, that would help see what’s going on.

If you try and start, without pressing the gas pedal, and it times out, does it then start the second time you turn the key?

If you turn the key to the On position and wait 10-15 seconds, will it start normally?
Well, I pulled off the fuel pump fuse (30) and I cleaned it with sand paper, I cnoticed it became better, it started without pressing the gas pedal. There is no fuel smell in the eng oil.

OP
OP
k1970

k1970

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I pulled off the fuel pump fuse (30) and I cleaned it with sand paper, I cnoticed it became better, it started without pressing the gas pedal. There is no fuel smell in the eng oil.
It comes again!! Do you think it is because of the camshaft sensor?

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the above posts are thinking a weak fuel pump or leaking injectors. You could try turning the key to run without starting a couple of times before you start it. The idea being the fuel pump runs for a second or two. If its low fuel pressure issue, this will get the pressure up.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It comes again!! Do you think it is because of the camshaft sensor?
A camshaft position sensor would not be my first suspicion since I assume once it’s started, it runs fine.

It definitely sounds like a fuel pressure/delivery issue. You need to get a fuel pressure gauge and see what your fuel pressure is doing.

You have been given suggestions on some simple things to try to troubleshoot/narrow down the possible causes, but I am not seeing where you have done any of them, instead you are cleaning off fuses and thinking about camshaft position sensors.

What @Jimmyy said above is exactly why you were given the suggestions you were given.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo