Roof rack cross rails placement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skid51

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have new Denali arriving next week and the dealer will be installing the cross rails. I haven't had the chance to look at the mounting points but understand there's only one or two options for each of the front and rear rail. Can someone tell me what the options are (i.e. distances between rails) so I can have the dealer put them in the right place? Seems a bit of a pita to move them around later.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't seem to find the exact measurements but I found this photo of them on eBay and you can see the two different mount points for the rear cross bar. Hope that helps a little. Also looks really straightforward to move if need be later on.

s-l1600.jpg

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting the plugs out to move the mounting screws/crossbars is the biggest pain. If you are going to put ski racks up top the farthest rear mount will be too far apart for kids skis. I don't think there is much of an option for the front mount but the distance is pretty standard, front to middle or front to farthest back. If you have a cargo box you can probably make the farthest rear mount work but you may need to check if the rear hatch will open without hitting a cargo box.

If you are asking what looks better...in my opinion....the rear in the farthest back spot looks better and more symmetrical on the top (like the picture posted earlier). But you will need a long cargo box or load to use both crossbars.

Hopefully that makes sense. If i get a chance and nobody else chimes in I can measure the distance for you.

OP
OP
S

Skid51

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OP here, thanks for the info,I think I have what I need. It does seem very dumb that there's only these two arbitrary points. Common roof items like Thule/Yakima ski boxes and bike trays have very limited ranges for crossbar location.

tpgunn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Taking the bars on and off is not all that tough. There are only three placement spots for the roof rails. To get it to work with my Thule box I had to use the front two. It allows you to open the rear doors and climb up to open the box. I ended up removing the rails when not using the box as they rattle at highway speeds. I tried tightening everything and it still rattles. Just as easy to remove them.

Interestingly, I also have a Stowaway Max Storage Box which works off the rear hitch, even when I swing it open, the rear door hits the box. I didn't have an issue with earlier models.

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking the bars on and off is not all that tough. There are only three placement spots for the roof rails. To get it to work with my Thule box I had to use the front two. It allows you to open the rear doors and climb up to open the box. I ended up removing the rails when not using the box as they rattle at highway speeds. I tried tightening everything and it still rattles. Just as easy to remove them.

Interestingly, I also have a Stowaway Max Storage Box which works off the rear hitch, even when I swing it open, the rear door hits the box. I didn't have an issue with earlier models.

The rattle is caused by lack of padding inside the mounting housing where the straight bar slides into. Its secured by 2 screws on each side. Remove the straight bar and look inside the housing. There should be a few thin tape pads to take up the play inside the the housing. Its not enough no mater how tight the screws are. What I did I added double sided foam tape inside top and bottom housing. I left one side of the double sided tape with the cover. Inserted the straight bar into the housing, it was very snug, and tighten down the 2 screws. Repeat the other side. Rattle gone.

Link

Last edited:

zolt11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thule box fits if bars are in front to options. That way box won't obstruct rear hatch from opening and you can get the biggest box making it fit like a glove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cship

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
anyone tried to use rails from the older body to the new body?? just wondered before I went and bought new...

bgsntth

Reaction score
I'm still baffled at why GM decided to offer so few and widely spaced options for the bars. I can use the first and third points to mount my 7'6" - 9' surfboards w/o interferring with the rear cargo door, but cannot mount my XXL Thule box, as the gap is too large (4'). I could fit the box on the closer mounting points, but the large overhang means lots of oscillation on the freeway - no thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMP2018