Rocket Man's 2008 Bagged CC Silverado Build AKA "THE MACHINE"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you can tell that those welds had almost no heat in them. I'd definitely see if you can't get that thing warrantied out.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
send it back, see if theyll replace it for free :)

Yeah, you can tell that those welds had almost no heat in them. I'd definitely see if you can't get that thing warrantied out.
Ummm I have no idea who built it. Probably AllStar customs in Texas. They’re the ones who fu*ked up everything else on this truck. I’ll probably have a new cell built one day that’s bigger and fits the space better but I’m in no hurry to spend money on it right now. I will revisit that idea in the next year. It’s like a lot of things right now- the lead times and prices are through the roof so I’ll wait and see if it gets better. I know billet wheels are taking 4 months right now instead of the usual 6-8 weeks.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummm I have no idea who built it. Probably AllStar customs in Texas. They’re the ones who fu*ked up everything else on this truck. I’ll probably have a new cell built one day that’s bigger and fits the space better but I’m in no hurry to spend money on it right now. I will revisit that idea in the next year. It’s like a lot of things right now- the lead times and prices are through the roof so I’ll wait and see if it gets better. I know billet wheels are taking 4 months right now instead of the usual 6-8 weeks.
Do you happen to have a local buddy who can weld that can make a fuel cell for you? That would be ideal IMO but I completely get what you're saying if you're going through a shop or vendor. Everything is backed up and way high on prices right now

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have your local guy weld it up. You could also get some of that tank liner and pour in it. That stuff seems to work pretty good. Hell, you may even get away with something like that now and no even have to weld it?

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to have a local buddy who can weld that can make a fuel for you? That would be ideal IMO but I completely get what you're saying if you're going through a shop or vendor. Everything is backed up and way high on prices right now
I looked into finding someone a couple years ago with no luck. I do know a guy I used to work with that’s an excellent aluminum fabricator but he’s an arrogant di*khead that I never want to see again lol. I’ll probably look again. All I need is a super simple rectangular box with mounting tabs and I’ll cut the holes and install the pump and filler neck.
Have your local guy weld it up. You could also get some of that tank liner and pour in it. That stuff seems to work pretty good. Hell, you may even get away with something like that now and no even have to weld it?
I haven’t heard of that tank liner, I’ll look into it. Thanks.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked into finding someone a couple years ago with no luck. I do know a guy I used to work with that’s an excellent aluminum fabricator but he’s an arrogant di*khead that I never want to see again lol. I’ll probably look again. All I need is a super simple rectangular box with mounting tabs and I’ll cut the holes and install the pump and filler neck.

I haven’t heard of that tank liner, I’ll look into it. Thanks.
youve just described every good welder ive ever met

does the tank just mount in the bed? does it need any custom work or can you just use an off the shelf tank? does the tube line up with something? what pattern do you need for fuel pump?

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
youve just described every good welder ive ever met

does the tank just mount in the bed? does it need any custom work or can you just use an off the shelf tank? does the tube line up with something? what pattern do you need for fuel pump?
It mounts between the rear cross frame member and the air tank. The dims are 18” deep, 10” high and currently 20”wide but I have room for 28” wide which would make it over 20 gallons instead of 15. The 18” is set in stone, the 10” high could go to 12” I believe with a new fuel pump ( I don’t remember how much I shortened the new pump to fit but it seems it was 1 1/2-2”. ) and then I’d need to rework the fill but I’m not sure if I can angle it down any more. The 20” could be anywhere between 20-28” but hopefully 28”. So ideally I would like 18 d x 10 h x 28 w. The pump and fill nozzle I can cut out and install myself. I can’t find any pre- made ones that fit. It does need mounting tabs on the bottom, 2 front and 2 rear. I’ve looked and looked and can’t find any that will fit. It’s an odd size, the 18” deep and 10” -12” high combo seems to be the problem.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember now that I was looking to upgrade to a higher capacity tank when I was looking at them last time. I see the exact same tank I have now all over the place, I found a red powder coated one on EBay for $130 shipped. I think I’ll order it. I’d rather get one that looks better and I don’t have to waste money paying some loser er I mean welder to weld this one up plus I need to get a different mounting ring setup for the pump. This tank is kind of Swiss cheesed. They made the ring out of a piece of steel and didn’t even space the holes the same. I don’t really need more capacity anyway, I drove this from San Francisco with this cell in it plus I don’t drive it that far anyway.

Attachments

• 3828DDAE-7AEA-4B77-8DBD-61AC1FAA3C07.jpeg
    3828DDAE-7AEA-4B77-8DBD-61AC1FAA3C07.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 268F6CDC-08B5-4028-86F0-5BB86F5AEA13.jpeg
    268F6CDC-08B5-4028-86F0-5BB86F5AEA13.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 22DBC6E6-3268-42EA-A576-10D470561C06.jpeg
    22DBC6E6-3268-42EA-A576-10D470561C06.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 61F8F380-11D0-4456-BCA7-7C8F5F7ABAE3.png
    61F8F380-11D0-4456-BCA7-7C8F5F7ABAE3.png
    763.9 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to find a mount ring for the pump that just screws on, kinda like the steel ring I have on it now. All I can find is a weld-on retrofit that adds a tab setup like the factory tanks have that will accept the factory lock ring. They’re about the same price as what I paid for the tank ($130) plus I’d have to get it welded on. That’s not happening. If anybody knows of anybody that makes one lmk. I have a stock lock ring ordered, I’m thinking I might be able to drill some holes in it and then drill and tap the cell for the Allen head screws I was using on the thick steel ring, which worked but that ring is ugly AF. I guess I could have a shop make me a steel ring locally. I was hoping to just find one online.

Attachments

• 60BB9374-BD8A-40F0-9618-F8FA202D7B44.jpeg
    60BB9374-BD8A-40F0-9618-F8FA202D7B44.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 7FD15F0B-D9C3-4ECD-A785-9C626CB4B1C4.jpeg
    7FD15F0B-D9C3-4ECD-A785-9C626CB4B1C4.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads