Retractable Side Step Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello FatDog,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

axpulkki

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick fix for some of the running board issues

I just bought 2008 Yukon Denali and had the same trouble as many others with erratic driver side power running board. As suggested on another forum, I applied WD-40 to running board hinges and the treatment worked great! Boards are back to fully functional. The running board must have a mechanism that stops the motor and prevents damage if the board gets stuck. Dirt and rust in the hinges seem to create enough resistance for the motor stop to be triggered.

I highly recommend trying the simple WD-40 treatment before any major repairs because of erratic power running boards. 25 cent treatment saved me a likely costly visit to GMC dealer.

axpulkki

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: Quick fix for some of the running board issues

Quick update: well, the "WD-40 trick" worked only for a day. After working fine for a day, the functionality of the driver (left) side was lost again overnight.

I took the entire running board on the left side to parts and everything seemed OK (also the hinges were really not stuck at all). After doing additional testing, for example, by disconnecting the board control module and running the boards with the truck running and off, I noticed the board functionality was lost after the truck was off for couple hours. Disconnecting and reconnecting the control module power and starting the truck restored the board functionality.

All this indicated to me possible problem with the battery power being drained too low while the truck was parked and off. I replaced the battery with a new one and the power running boards have now been working without any hiccups for two days. It thus appears replacing the battery with a fresh one fixed my running board issues.

Last edited:

TraumaTruck1

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my running boards on an 07 Denali. They work most of the time, but they sometimes get stuck in either position. It is really ******* my wife because she is relatively short, and she needs the running boards. The batter could be your problem I guess, but ours will do it with the motor running.

JesseJ21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Having the same issue

Anyone have to pay for this repair? What's it run? Mine is only acting up on the driver side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts