Replacing stock radio.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04tahoe229

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2004 tahoe lt. It is missing a radio, from what I've read you have to buy a module to put an aftermarket stereo in. My question is I'm unsure of what to buy. I don't have steering wheel controls and it doesnt appear to have onstar. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
04tahoe229

04tahoe229

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How can I tell if the vehicle has on star or not? If I don't have on star do I need to get a module that retains onstar?

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can I tell if the vehicle has on star or not? If I don't have on star do I need to get a module that retains onstar?

Does it have the blue and red buttons on the mirror? Also does it have a shark fin on the cab? Look up inside the glove box. If you see a metal box up high in the dash, it is the onstar brain, not to be confused with the lower one that will be XM.

OP
OP
04tahoe229

04tahoe229

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does it have the blue and red buttons on the mirror? Also does it have a shark fin on the cab? Look up inside the glove box. If you see a metal box up high in the dash, it is the onstar brain, not to be confused with the lower one that will be XM.
There is no and red buttons on mirror. No shark fin or metal box in dash. So i take it thatbi dont have on star. Do i need to get a module box that retain onstar or would one like this work.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/axxess-.../9436087.p?id=1218104805368&skuId=9436087

Kain452004

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to.. All you really need is that metra harness to hook up the new radio to the factory wiring..

corsiman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am in the midst of redoing the stereo in my 04 Tahoe (no Bose, no Onstar, no steering wheel control), and I had to buy a module so that it retained the door chimes and whatnot. It came with the wiring adapter so that I could connect it to the aftermarket deck. I attached the link below...since I bought the deck from Crutchfield, I got the whole installation setup for like 20 bucks.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_249SOCGM17/CRUX-SOCGM-17-Wiring-Interface.html?tp=3486

OP
OP
04tahoe229

04tahoe229

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I plan on getting the module and a cd player. Are there any brands to watch out for? Its been quite a while since I bought any aftermarket stereos.

bmeek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I plan on getting the module and a cd player. Are there any brands to watch out for? Its been quite a while since I bought any aftermarket stereos.

I've been happy with my Kenwood Excelon. No navigation, but it connects to my phone for that function.

Also, the Kenwood's don't need to have a relay installed for bypassing the parking brake, just ground the parking wire. Allows you to use all functions while driving. Other brands require some funky relay installation.

Telephone integration has been great. Wiring up a backup camera was pretty painless. HD radio and RDS are a must for me as well.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kchaga1978