Replacement Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ilmk123

Reaction score
Hi ! Have a 06 Yukon Denali...The compressor and shocks are bad. I would just like to put coil overs on. Can somebody head me in the right direction? Thank you !

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of options available for this conversion. I cannot assist you personally, as I am in the process of converting back to the Z55 suspension, after a previous owner stripped it out.

Other folks on this Forum have made this conversion in the direction that you are asking about, and they will chime in.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt think there was a coil over option for the NBS, because of the torsion arms? Shocks are straight forward, and many parts warehouses sell a conversion kit to fool the Z55/Z95 system.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi ! Have a 06 Yukon Denali...The compressor and shocks are bad. I would just like to put coil overs on. Can somebody head me in the right direction? Thank you !
If you want to dump the compressor and air shocks, you have two options.

1. Keep the rear springs and use Nivomat self-leveling shocks, 540-532. This is ZW7 with G65.

2. Install New HD rear springs and shocks, 45H2164 springs and 540-433 shocks. This is plain ZW7. Truck will sit higher in rear unless loaded.

You'll have to consult others about preventing warning lights and such from showing up on the dash, I just now the easy stuff!

Stock air shocks are 580-457 if you do not have 20 inch wheels. If you do have 20s, then it is either 580-458 or 580-203 depending on RPOs.

OP
OP
ilmk123

ilmk123

Reaction score
If you want to dump the compressor and air shocks, you have two options.

1. Keep the rear springs and use Nivomat self-leveling shocks, 540-532. This is ZW7 with G65.

2. Install New HD rear springs and shocks, 45H2164 springs and 540-433 shocks. This is plain ZW7. Truck will sit higher in rear unless loaded.

You'll have to consult others about preventing warning lights and such from showing up on the dash, I just now the easy stuff!

Stock air shocks are 580-457 if you do not have 20 inch wheels. If you do have 20s, then it is either 580-458 or 580-203 depending on RPOs.
Thank you for the info ! Yes I wan to get rid of compressor and air ride. I think I would prefer option 1. So I do have some questions. The zw7 is a RPO code? The self leveling shocks will adjust by them selfs driving down the road a few miles? Nothing else is needing for them to do this?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say that, but wait until you see the prices of those Nivomats. They are just as expensive, or more so, than the Z55/Z95 Air Ride.

Nivo

Z55

Z95
Cant find them..?

But I do have a query for you.. I see a mighty big trailer in your signature/avatar pic. Are you pulling that with this rig?

I personally would go back to a Z55 shock, without the electric pieces in it. Than replace the Air Compressor with a Dorman 949-099 (one of the only time you will see a Dorman part being recommended).

Air Comp

Shock with Z55 emulator kit built in

Last edited:
OP
OP
ilmk123

ilmk123

Reaction score
You say that, but wait until you see the prices of those Nivomats. They are just as expensive, or more so, than the Z55/Z95 Air Ride.

Nivo

Z55

Z95
Cant find them..?

But I do have a query for you.. I see a mighty big trailer in your signature/avatar pic. Are you pulling that with this rig?

I personally would go back to a Z55 shock, without the electric pieces in it. Than replace the Air Compressor with a Dorman 949-099 (one of the only time you will see a Dorman part being recommended).

Air Comp

Shock with Z55 emulator kit built in
This Denali is my dads. He pulls a 3500 travel trailer with it. The compressor and shocks are bad. I am just trying to figure out away to get rid of the compressor and shocks. The rig in the avatar is my 05 2500 8.1 410 geared suburban. Pulling a 11000 travel trailer.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh.. Gotcha..

By the time its all said and done, its just as expensive, and a little less work to keep the Z55/Clones Air Rides than it is to convert it to Standard because of spring replacement.

Edit: I cant speak to the Nivo's mentioned above, I know nothing about them, other than they are more expensive.

Edit2: And with him pulling a trailer, he should want the AirShock in my opinion. It will help with squatting of the truck.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this work on my Escalade last week.. I researched it out quite a bit, clones, OEM, air compressors, convert to standard, and a lot more research.

I almost bought a set of Z55 clones from Summit Racing. I got lucky, and found a cheap set of used OEM good condition ones on craigslist, and bought a air compressor from Amazon. I am into my rear rebuild for 400ish, but I will get 100 of that back, as Arnott Industries buys the old shocks for 50 a piece (and they pay for shipping).

I had the old compressor and shocks out, and new compressor and shocks installed, in about 45 minutes.

Anyways, the point I am making, save your old shocks, as Arnott will buy them from you.

And if you buy the Arnott AirRide Clones, they have a lifetime warranty. So does the Dorman Air Compressor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts