Remote Starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmeachem

Reaction score
I know very little and would to know a little

1 is a remote with a lcd better
2 two way or one way
3 which bypass can i buy that wont need updating or anything

Thanks

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the 2000 Tahoe in your sig?

And a 2-way remote with a LCD screen isn't exactly "better" , but its a lot more convenient because it gives you feedback about the status of the vehicle.

OP
OP
mmeachem

mmeachem

Reaction score
For the 2000 Tahoe in your sig?

And a 2-way remote with a LCD screen isn't exactly "better" , but its a lot more convenient because it gives you feedback about the status of the vehicle.

Yeah for the one in my sig

What bypass will I need without updating or whatever you have to do with them

magicbus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hardwire the appropriate resistor into your passkey wiring if you don't want to use a module. The bad thing is, if you don't know what you're doing then it is probably best you do not attempt it. That being established, here goes:

You will need: wire stripper/cutter, a digital multimeter, and various resistors
There should be three wires close to eah other coming from the ignition cylinder; red/white, orange/black or black, and yellow. These wires should be grouped together and only be around the size of 20ga.
Strip a piece of coating on the black wire, do not cut it.
Cut the yellow wire and strip a little off both sides to test.
Put the vehicle in gear so it won't try to start.
Set your multimeter to read resistance.
Use one lead of your multimeter and clamp it to the orange/black or black wire. Clamp the other lead to the ignition side of the yellow wire.
While watching your meter reading, insert the key and turn to ign.
The reading your meter displays will be the approximate value of the resistor you will need. For example, if your meter reads 1.34k ohm, then you want the closest resistor you can find for that value.
Now you will need to wire that resistor from the orange/black or black wire to the bcm side of the yellow wire.
Test start the vehicle before you finish up to make sure you don't have any security lights come on.
If you do have a light come on, or it doesn't work, reset the passlock system and try again.
I have done hundreds of trucks this way for remote starts and seldom heard of one failing. When they do fail its usually from a kit that was installed in a 110 degree summer and the resistance changed enough with temps in the teens during winter to make the pass key system act up. I simply put in a different resistor and never had a problem again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mmeachem

mmeachem

Reaction score
I don't mind having one and i am not going to install it myself but just don't know

What bypass to get

Do i have to mess with (update/flash/whatever) it after the install

magicbus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if your installer is worth their salt they will know what is best and how to do the best job. Keep in mind, just because it is their job, doesn't mean they do it well. If you were in my area I could hook you up with the best install money can buy for a fraction of what anyone else will charge. These trucks are super super easy to install anything in, even the most complicated of remote systems.

OP
OP
mmeachem

mmeachem

Reaction score
Ok thanks but can you point me in the right direction for which bypass to buy

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMBP is what I used on my 2001 Suburban. It was super easy to install too. Only 4 wires. Hot, ground, trigger from the remote start module, and a purple wire that connects to the databus wire in the Diagnostic port harness at the bottom of the dash. That's it. I did not have to flash and software to it or anything. Programming it was easy too. After its installed, simply start the engine with your key. Then you will see the led flash on the module to confirm its programmed, then press a button to confirm the program and that's it. I installed it in 2006 and I have had ZERO problems with it ever since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JIMEMAC33