Reliability? Is it as bad as it sounds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thbrewst

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to get my wife and kids beyond minivan days and into an SUV. At this point I'm down to a Yukon Denali or a Sequoia Platinum. Personally I prefer almost everything about the Yukon except a few specific items (cargo space smaller than Toyota, no center console between 2nd row, price, and reliability concerns). By far the biggest of these is the reliability. This is a car for my wife and kids to drive around in everyday and I can't have it in the shop all the time or breaking down on the road. From reading the forums I can't tell if these issues are fairly wide-spread or it is just the vocal few being impacted. I fully appreciate that any car can have issues, but percentages are pushing me toward the Toyota even though I would really prefer the Yukon.

Those of you who own them, are they really having a lot of large/small issues? Thanks for any insight or opinions. All comments are appreciated.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toyota, my next door neighbor lady has a Sequoia and it's a real nice unit. She has been back and forth to the east coast 4 times since I have known her, and it's 3k+ one way.

Rush

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've put about 5K on mine w/ no real issues... My check engine light came on at one point, went off and never reappeared. From my observation, the real issues were with the earlier production vehicles (Those manufactured before Oct 2014/6-speed tranny).

OP
OP
T

thbrewst

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you checked out Consumer Reports?

I have (religious consumer reports reader here). Currently they rate the Yukon 'Average' for reliability. But considering it is a new redesign they are usually slow to update their information if an influx of new issues start coming in (you would not see that for many months). I'm not saying that is the case, more reacting to the number of complaints from folks here.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Toyota, my next door neighbor lady has a Sequoia and it's a real nice unit. She has been back and forth to the east coast 4 times since I have known her, and it's 3k+ one way.

The Toyota build quality is what has me interested. Generally I think the interior of that car is dated compared to most competitors. But it is certainly still nice enough to get by.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

I've put about 5K on mine w/ no real issues... My check engine light came on at one point, went off and never reappeared. From my observation, the real issues were with the earlier production vehicles (Those manufactured before Oct 2014/6-speed tranny).

Yeah, that was a question I asked in another thread. Do all of these issues seem to be resolved with the post-October builds (which I would certainly ensure that I had), or do they still exist.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Asides from nitpicks (that Im probably too picky about) I havent had any real issues either.

A couple of noise related concerns and a leaking oil filter. The 4x4 issue doesn't affect them all - I ordered mine in March and its fine.

As computerized and as "plasticy" as all of the new vehicles are - I really think you are going to have issue no matter what you buy.

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked mine up April if last year and have had ZERO problems. Just hit 32k miles last week. Granted it's 2wd but I'm extremely happy still with my purchase.

daktari

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If your primary priority is reliability you cannot get better than the Sequoia-as suggested check out consumer reports and others as it is rated very highly. I like my Denali, but have been plagued by seat noises/shifting, recalls, water leak, booming sound (resulting in complete removal of headliner/interior which then resulted in damage to visor and ill fitting headliner. Maybe acceleration issues fixed in 2015i but you would never guess the vehicle has the power it does. I have other small issues as well. I would have to think twice about getting another one-go with the Sequoia. Only caution is it is likely due for a refresh so watch the "rumors" carefully.

SVL

Reaction score
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: I traded a 2005 Toyota Sequoia wwith 135,000 miles on it for our 2015 Denali XL. The ony reason we did not get another Sequoia is that we needed more cargo space. The XL does offer more space but it is nowhere near the quality of the Sequoia. None of our issues have been "broke down on the side of the road" bad but it has already spent more time in service than the Sequoia did in our 10 years of owning it.

OP
OP
T

thbrewst

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow, was expecting a bunch of folks to chime in that their Yukon was awesome, and it was the small subset having issues. Hmmmm....maybe I'll be buying a plastic covered Toyota after all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo