Reduce engine power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brooklyn hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a small snow storm here in NY this weekend any way while out on friday the truck had the message reduce engine power on the dash. Pulled over since there was nothing I can really do at this point waited a while and restarted the truck message gone but now the engine light is on. went to autozone got the code(p2135) and engine light went away.Went out tonight and same thing happened again. I had already checked out the forum the night before and it really only happened to the older tahoe, I would like to know has anyone encountered this issue with there truck and how did they resolve it and how much did it cost.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually throttle position sensor related.

Google that code. P2135 a lot of stuff comes up.

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, your throttle body needs some cleaning. Go on youtube and type throttle body cleaning and it'll show you what to do, if not, just take it to your local garage, they'll do it for less than $30. Or if worst comes to shove, you might have to replace the whole throttle body, I got the same code, cleaned it, then cleared the code, it ran good for a few months, then, code again, and even after another clean, it wouldn't go away, had to replace the throttle body, I found a dealer from florida, on ebay, I believe I got it for $175, replaced it, and problem solved...look around, dealer might quote you over $300, so look on ebay, call a couple of dealers, because every dealer will give you a different price, remember every dealer is owned by somebody, and they put the price on the parts, so that's why there is a difference in price, in different dealers..my 2 cents

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be carefull cleaning the throttle body it's electronic. I would definitely disconnect the battery first. I took mine off to clean it. It's only four number 10 bolts. Then you can have it in your hand and do a good job. I cleaned the intake manifold also your hand will fit in it.

OP
OP
Brooklyn hoe

Brooklyn hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleaned the throttle body about 2 months ago and since its all electronic I have to run to the dealer afterwards so they can reset the throttle position. I was looking on line and some say its the throttle body some say its the sensor in the pedal some say it the throttle body position. Well today I replaced the pedal and the battery since the battery was giving me issues anyway but same code and same reduce engine power message comes up, I am going to try to run to my local garage tomorrow and see if they can clean the throttle body and replace the throttle body sensor if that does not work my next choice is the throttle body itself. This issue needs to be fixed its holding me up from doing three mods to the truck.

ChrisK7UND

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had received a letter from GM for my '08 Tahoe regarding a known TPS problem and if the Reduced Power Mode issue came up they would replace the throttle body. Not wanting to get stuck off the side of the road, I bought a AC Delco Throttle Body off Amazon.com for ~$100 vs what the dealer wanted. Replaced myself and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I would have never done this without the letter. The TPS drives the motor that opens the throttle and mine was sluggish and clearly not working right even though I had no codes. LOVE the way it drives now. Also gained almost 2mpgs. Good luck!!

Chris Underwood, K7UND

OP
OP
Brooklyn hoe

Brooklyn hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually bought a new TP from autozone today and going to install it tomorrow before heading out to work hopefully all is good. Do I need to reprogram the computer so that it does not rev to high. Thanks and lets see if this works.

ChrisK7UND

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You normally only have a high idle issue if yours was very dirty and the computer had to learn that your throttle plate was open due to junk and that was the new idle set. So on a new one without the junk it will at first open it to the last known idle which will be too much at first. It should relearn it on its own. Worst case you can have a shop do the relearn and they charge little to do it. I doubt you will need to though.

Good luck. Let me know how it feels. Mine was a totally different truck with the renewed throttle response.

Chris Underwood, OR
--Garrett AT Pro
--White's Coinmaster GT
--Garrett Pro-pointer

OP
OP
Brooklyn hoe

Brooklyn hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I swapped out the old TB for the new one and what a difference the response is much better and the pick up is much better. Took about 30 min to do everything and so far so good.

ChrisK7UND

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glad to hear it. Sounds similar to my experience. It's like driving a different truck.

Chris Underwood

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160