Redneck front locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kirstinemichael

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I heard a rumor that I could kick the front Axel on my 97 Tahoe, by drilling through a peice in the diff and buying an extended actuator pin that will reach through one side to the other. Anybody know about or tried it?

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe he is trying to say that...

You can connect the two axles together?

Or he is referring to the full time 4wd deal, I have heard about it but have never seen it in person.
It's basically a solid piece of metal that replaces the actuator and causes the differential to stay engaged permantley or until you remove the "pin"

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
No I believe he means a locker but you drill a hole and slap a pin. Not sure how it works but he is thinking of a locker

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go do it OP! come back and tell us how long it took to break a axle!
Especially on the ****** lil twigs in your frot drivetrain.

I seriously hope this is a go fast in a straight line, mudbog toy.
Evem then, there's a reason the air and electric locker was invented.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
i can tell you now that full-time 4wd ain't happening here. as for the actuator he could just wire it to be engaged anytime the ignition is on or he could spend $130 on a metal slug already designed to do it with out electricity.

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I believe he means a locker but you drill a hole and slap a pin. Not sure how it works but he is thinking of a locker

Um yeah.
That was theory #1.
A pin that would connect the two axles together for a posi-trac apparatus.
I didn't say locker because well that wouldn't be a locker.

Though If he is talking about a locker, some has thrown him one from the far left field.
Someone that doesn't know how a differential carrier works/ is made.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

i can tell you now that full-time 4wd ain't happening here. as for the actuator he could just wire it to be engaged anytime the ignition is on or he could spend $130 on a metal slug already designed to do it with out electricity.

"Buying an Extended actuator pin" made this metal slug come to mind.

But it doesn't go along with "drilling through a peice in the diff" & "reach through one side to the other"

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
technically an air locker turned on from standing still can happen and help but because of case material of axle assembly you will have to avoid shocks from the traction. so if you crawl very slowly from say mud or water you would probably be fine but any harsher then it may start to fall apart on you fast or slow like. just depends on how much you stress it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667