Recs for better MPG pulling trailer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How you can tell if you have ping is to find a large grade and boogie up it.
This is when you'll know.
My gasser 1995 Class A Motor Home Ford F53 chassis with a 460 cu. in. with a 80 gallon tank, Ford and everyone shop states to only use regular.
THEY ALL SAY DO NOT USE PREIMUM
I'm sorry but they are my vehicles, I drive them and know what's best to use and I get the best results with Premium in everything.
When I used regular which was only 2 times over the past 18 years it pinged like crazy pulling grades and I lost 1-1 1/2 mpg using regular.
When I'm only getting 6 mpg in my M.H. with premium as is and it drops to 4 1/2 with regular, this sucks.
Premium and only premium is used in every gas vehicle (5) and gas engines I own, including my 91 Geo Tracker, lawn mowers (2), generators (3) etc. etc.
Spend the extra 20 or so cents your vehicles will be happier, besides they will run much better on Preimum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stevereno

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We took the travel trailer out for the weekend to a park about 125 miles from home. Fueled up the Tahoe with 89 octane for the drive up, got about 9.3 MPG per trip computer. Refueled with 87 octane for the drive home, got 9.2 MPG per trip computer. Had plenty of uphill grades that would take 1200-1500 RPM increase to maintain speed (60-65 MPH most of the time) and had no noticeable pinging/knocking. From our experience to date, I just can't see paying the additional 40 cents or so per gallon for 89 octane.

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you buying gas that there is 40 cents per gallon difference between reg and mid grade. Out west at this time $3.59 for reg, $3.69 mid grade, $3.79 premium.
Besides what outside temps are you in ? When your in +100 degrees pulling grades you just might get ping.
Grades that are in the 6-8% range for several miles.
Besides if you want true actual mpg you really should top off the tank each time and hand calculate instead if going by the DIC.

Last edited:

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That and the computer needs time to learn the 89. Just one tank won't cut it, you still had 87 in there.

Sent from an ice cream sammich.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Jenna, when I had my truck tuned by Justin quite some time ago, I did not think I would be using the tow mode (had him change it to performance mode).

We are now towing a 3,600 lb trailer. Do you think there is any benefit changing the button back to tow mode?

Thanks in advance.

Helidriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I made a 400 mile round trip from Houston to Marble Falls last weekend pulling a 6-7k car trailer. On the way up I averaged (hand calculated) 10.5 mpg with the cruise control set to 65. On the way home I was able to get nearly 12 mpg without the cruise control but still driving 65.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Jenna, when I had my truck tuned by Justin quite some time ago, I did not think I would be using the tow mode (had him change it to performance mode).

We are now towing a 3,600 lb trailer. Do you think there is any benefit changing the button back to tow mode?

Thanks in advance.

He can definitely change it back to stock tow/haul if you like. Just shoot him an email to [email protected].

zzpw3x

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've done thousands of miles towing 6000 lbs and never heard a ping with 87 octane. Maybe 1/2 of those miles were before I had a tune, and mostly in the summer.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Pinging is not always audible, but again, if the quality of fuel is decent and depending on your engine, it is possible that you have none.

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always suggest digging a little deeper in the pocket book and try premium for a couple tanks, one will not do. The computer takes a little time to adjust.
Everyone I know that's tried this had always said performance and mileage gains was noticed.
But if the budget is tight most would rather save a buck than have a little better running vehicle.

My previous vehicle 06 Denali 6.0 I had a Hypertech they tune for regular but I tried premium and it ran much better and it gain a easy .5+ mpg.
Arizona's gas and diesel does lack in quality.
With my EFI tuning doing a data log it appeared I was running regular but I always run premium.
I even tried Chevron and Shell this did not change anything.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia