Rebuilding 6.2 Any good mods while I do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a junkyard 6.2 fo a future install in my 2007 yukon denali. Thinking about stroking to 4 inch. I know I need the longer connecting rods and the new crankshaft. Anything else besides decking the block? Also going to do a cam, clean up the exhaust ports in the heads, and use better valve springs and retainers. Any other durability mods I should do while it's down?

OP
OP
Brian Wilson

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. Yes. And new rings would probably be nice. Maybe even bearings if the budget allows.
Jokes aside, is there some aftermarket piston that helps fight piston slap? Maybe one with deeper skirts? I feel like the anti slap coating on the side of pistons I keep seeing will just wear out after a few thousand miles.

undy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're not going to beat the crap out of it or add nitrous or boost then use hypereutectic pistons. They're the same "type' as the OEM pistons. They have less thermal expansion than a forged piston and they're quite a bit cheaper too. A lot of them have the graphite/teflon coatings on the skirts. The coatings are a lot more durable than you think. Make sure you get the correct low tension ring set also.

Check out Texas Speed for good prices on entire rotating assemblies to complete turn-key engines.

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has nobody built a stroker 6.2 yet?
Its been done several times. Its just the wrong forum for it. google 416 stroker and that will tell you everything you need to know about them. IMO, a 416 is the best ls configuration. Good NA power if thats your thing, works with aftermarket cathedral heads for a torque monster, or handles boost to make big numbers if you want.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an interested thread as I'm considering something similar for my build.

How's the reliability of a 416 in a daily driver?

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an interested thread as I'm considering something similar for my build.

How's the reliability of a 416 in a daily driver?
All things equal, yes. A crappy engine builder or tuner is not going to produce a very reliable engine, the same if you have a high dollar engine thats stressed and lives its life at 8K. A moderate compression well built 416 is more then adequate for reliability in a daily driver. Going past a 4" stroke in anything shy of a tall deck block is asking for trouble.

My plan is to swap a L92 416 stroker in my nbs when I get my new job and use the LQ4 to get my camaro back on the road while I build its real engine

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All things equal, yes. A crappy engine builder or tuner is not going to produce a very reliable engine, the same if you have a high dollar engine thats stressed and lives its life at 8K. A moderate compression well built 416 is more then adequate for reliability in a daily driver. Going past a 4" stroke in anything shy of a tall deck block is asking for trouble.

My plan is to swap a L92 416 stroker in my nbs when I get my new job and use the LQ4 to get my camaro back on the road while I build its real engine

Very true. I'm contemplating on building this myself or having the machine shop assemble it. This would be my first, that is why I'm not quite sure. I have a good friend to rely on if I do go that route.
What cr would be ideal?
Also, would you get a complete rotating assembly or piece together a set?

Sounds like you have a plan already in the making, haha. What gen Camaro do you have?

OP
OP
Brian Wilson

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a complete balanced rotating assemble. I have built a few LS style engines and too many small block ford's and chevys. I literally dream about building them now days. Lol. And I like the idea of hyper pistons. Just not sure which pistons have the longest skirts or strongest pin design or best skirt angle. The 6.2 had awful piston slap from day 1. Not trying to spend 5k on a stroker to have the same problem. I may be old school but I would spend money on a reliable stroker vs a turbo or supercharged engine any day. I just like less crap to go wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chazbeaux