Rebilt power steering gear, now metal clicking sound when turning... help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukonxlfan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2001 Yukon XL 5.3 210,000 miles
Hello so my dad and I replaced the seals and gaskets on the steering gear on our Yukon and it stopped leaking but now when you turn the wheels left or right you can hear 1 or 2 metal clicking sounds. My dad said we might've left a bolt loose or something... what does this sound like it might be to you? I heard someone else say it can be the steering rack bushings. Any info helps... feel free to ask questions I don't mind posting a video of the sound.
Thanks!!!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You have a steering gear box not a steering rack. So can't be those pesky "rack bushings" huh?! If you never had the noise before you did the seals/gaskets replacement, you didn't right?, I would suspect it is something you may have done. For noises I like to use a mechanic's stethoscope. They are inexpensive and well worth the money. If you can duplicate the noise while parked and turning left or right, then start the noise search at the gear box and where it mounts and the bolts tension and by the way, did you check the frame for any cracks when you had the gear box off? Also check the pitman attachment at the spline and anything else you may have taken apart and reattached to do the job.

OP
OP
yukonxlfan

yukonxlfan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
By the way, this question belongs in steering and suspension.

At least on my screen, "Steering And Suspension" doesn't exist. Only "lifted" and "street suspension." I'll jack it up and give it a good shake down again I guess... my jack is only rated for 1.5 tons which isn't safe for a 6,000lbs vehicle lol.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least on my screen, "Steering And Suspension" doesn't exist. Only "lifted" and "street suspension." I'll jack it up and give it a good shake down again I guess... my jack is only rated for 1.5 tons which isn't safe for a 6,000lbs vehicle lol.
What would you consider "safe"? I'm under the impression you don't need a 6,000 lb jack for the job; a 1500 lb jack and jack stands should do the trick, however.

Do consider that jacks, in the grand scheme of things, are really inexpensive -- compared to what you are insuring against.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, so this is a street suspension and not engine and drivetrain. Secondly I asked about checking the noise on the ground with a stethoscope. No jack needed for that. To recheck your work would only require the same effort you already put in. To check one side or the other, if you lift with a jack and use a jack stand will easily be handled by your jack. We are talking about a corner, not the whole side of the vehicle.

OP
OP
yukonxlfan

yukonxlfan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, so this is a street suspension and not engine and drivetrain. Secondly I asked about checking the noise on the ground with a stethoscope. No jack needed for that. To recheck your work would only require the same effort you already put in. To check one side or the other, if you lift with a jack and use a jack stand will easily be handled by your jack. We are talking about a corner, not the whole side of the vehicle.
Nope. Not putting this on street suspension. One way or the other the power steering is affiliated with the engine. If it gets you butthurt talk to a moderator about moving this topic, guy.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Listen, snowflake, don't get your panties in a ***. The power steering is affiliated with the steering and is driven by a belt on the engine. The a/c unit is the same but heating and a/c problems are not found in the engine section. Get over yourself and get smarter before you try to call a TECH out. Or go see if Hillary or Bernie will fight your battles for you because you just lost and I know you will need a time out area where you feel safe. Do you want a participation trophy now?

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The other reason it should be in the Street Suspension section is that people in those threads are looking to help people with steering and suspension problems. In the Engine and Drivetrain section there is a whole different group of people. To me, it only makes sense. I have never asked for legal help from a dentist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlazinMilk