rear glass rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just tightened all the little bolts and screws in the glass hatch area, I got about an 1/8 turn snugged up out of each one. I'll see if that helps. The previous gen 15-20 had a glass rattle that came from the seal drying out, I had that issue on my 17, this 21+ is a different issue but the one suggestion on the tsb was move the latch to get the glass tighter. I had to move my driver door latch after delivery because the door lines didn't line up! So I wouldn't be surprised.

OP
OP
pt1965

pt1965

Reaction score
thx for this bulletin! i will check this out, but in the mean time... i have a nominal thickness *** of paper towels wedged under the glass between the hinges that has stopped the rattling! so, mine definitely comes from the hinges.

Reaction score
Tightened all the bolts and lubricated everything. Didn't help.
Enlarged the holes for the glass latch to move it in a little bit. Didn't help.
Like you said it's definitely hinges up higher. I don't know whether to take it to the dealer and have them deal with this or I'll have to rig something up and then it'll look tampered with.
I think it happens to some and not others because some open that glass and some don't. I have used it many times and that probably screwed me.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked to see if there was any molding or grommets missing but nothing was obvious. I let a mechanic hear it and his guess was it's something with the latch but i'm not convinced. The windows seem to have a little more play than i'm used to as well.

This. I think over time from opening/shutting the window track (or Regulator as GM calls it) wears out and becomes loose, the glass gets a little loose and when the glass starts rattling in the track it sounds like what you describe. I've got the same thing going on 2 of my doors. Mine will be heading into the body shop for some other items and I was going to inquire about this getting looked at also.

Another symptom of mine that I feel supports this is if the window is rolled up/closed it sounds fine. If my window is rolled down some or all the way is when it sounds the worse. That's also what makes me think its the window track mechanism that's worn out, and when the window is down (inside the door) its the loudest because there's play in the window track and that metal on metal "slamming shut" sound is actually the door glass rattling around in there.

Unfortunately GM has the Power Window regulator with motor is all one unit; I think there are no OEM options and only OEM equivalent replacement options from Doorman or similar.

Reaction score
Just to update, I enlarged the holes on the glass latch about as far as you can go to move the latch more forward, after doing this the rattle/squeak is finally gone. It was getting better every time I enlarged the holes more until it finally moved enough that it went away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia