Rear end problems with the hoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black1996

Reaction score
Having problems with my 97 4x4 Tahoe, all the internals in the rear diff are blown. I found a rolled truck that's a halfton but it's a 99 with the new body style, it has an eaton trutrack rearend, I'm wondering if I could swap the internals over or are they completely different. They are both 10 bolt with 3.73 gears

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
There is a tenth of an inch between the two in ring size but the ring/pinion and tru-trac should still fit. Not sure about the axle and rather doubt they will. The bearings and install kit is different so grab a new master kit for the OBS that is set up for the true-trac unit.

OP
OP
Black1996

Black1996

Reaction score
There is a tenth of an inch between the two in ring size but the ring/pinion and tru-trac should still fit. Not sure about the axle and rather doubt they will. The bearings and install kit is different so grab a new master kit for the OBS that is set up for the true-trac unit.

Ok thanks!! He quoted me at 500$ for parts on a stock rebuilt carrier and bearings and the other used diff with truetrac is 600$ altogether. Do you think it would be worth it to screw around with that? Or... Do you have a link to the right truetrac setup for my application that is also available to ship to canada?

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:37 PM ----------

My truck is also supercharged with headers, dual exhaust and tuned so I'm hoping not to touch the rear end again

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a brand new Trutrac for $480 if you shop around and look for rebates. Considering your power output, you'd be better off swapping in a 14 bolt semi floater rear end. As long as you're going to spend the money anyways? The swap is a direct bolt in replacement. Find A half ton or 3/4 ton '92 -'98 Suburban with RPO code C5Z. That's for 7200 GVWR. (The 7200 GVWR specifies the 14 bolt, 9.5" ring gear, semi floating rear axle.) Get the rear end and the U-bolt plates, both top and bottom. Also, look for RPO code JB6. That's for the 11" brakes. Almost every 7200 GVWR Suburban will have that. You need the combination brake valve as well. (Proportioning valve.) The proportioning valve out of that rig will balance your brakes with the 11" brakes. Without it, the 11" rear drums will skid long before the fronts. That's very dangerous. The U-bolts you have will work. Have the rear end rebuilt and the Truetrac added. Swap the axles. You'll also need a conversion U-joint. Other than that it's a bolt-in swap. Your rear shocks will be about 3/4" more compressed than stock due to mounting placement. The vast majority of the 14 Bolt SF are 6 lug axles. Do check though. An 8 lug axle would require new wheels or new axles.... As far as identifying the 14 bolt, it's got 14 bolts on the cover. But so do the Full floating axles... So also look for the absence of the big hubs that the full floaters have. (The full floater is a lot more work to swap.)

The 14 Bolt SF has a 9.5" ring gear compared to the 10 bolt 8.5" ring gear. Plus, it has stouter axles and axle tubes. Much, much stronger than the 10 bolt overall. The only weakness in this rear end is the stock carrier, but the trutrac will fix that. It also usually comes with JB6 brakes. That's all the same up front as what you have, except for the proportioning valve. In the rear The JB6 brakes are 11.15" x 2.75" drum brakes.

The 11" brakes are a nice upgrade as well, dramatically improving brake feel and performance. They improve feel because the wheel cylinder has a 1" bore compared to 1-3/16 on the 10" drums. It takes less fluid to activate them so the brake feels firmer and has less travel. Even with the smaller wheel cylinder the 11" brakes are more powerful both because of the bigger diameter and the "Duo Servo" design of the brakes. The stock 10" brakes are "leading-trailing" design, which is a lot less powerful than duo servo. That's why you need a new proportioning valve. The stock one delivers way too much pressure to the rears for the duo servo 11" brakes.

If you stick with a 10 bolt, you'll probably blow it again. That'll be a LOT less likely with the 14 bolt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black1996

Black1996

Reaction score
You can get a brand new Trutrac for $480 if you shop around and look for rebates. Considering your power output, you'd be better off swapping in a 14 bolt semi floater rear end. As long as you're going to spend the money anyways? The swap is a direct bolt in replacement. Find A half ton or 3/4 ton '92 -'98 Suburban with RPO code C5Z. That's for 7200 GVWR. (The 7200 GVWR specifies the 14 bolt, 9.5" ring gear, semi floating rear axle.) Get the rear end and the U-bolt plates, both top and bottom. Also, look for RPO code JB6. That's for the 11" brakes. Almost every 7200 GVWR Suburban will have that. You need the combination brake valve as well. (Proportioning valve.) The proportioning valve out of that rig will balance your brakes with the 11" brakes. Without it, the 11" rear drums will skid long before the fronts. That's very dangerous. The U-bolts you have will work. Have the rear end rebuilt and the Truetrac added. Swap the axles. You'll also need a conversion U-joint. Other than that it's a bolt-in swap. Your rear shocks will be about 3/4" more compressed than stock due to mounting placement. The vast majority of the 14 Bolt SF are 6 lug axles. Do check though. An 8 lug axle would require new wheels or new axles.... As far as identifying the 14 bolt, it's got 14 bolts on the cover. But so do the Full floating axles... So also look for the absence of the big hubs that the full floaters have. (The full floater is a lot more work to swap.)

The 14 Bolt SF has a 9.5" ring gear compared to the 10 bolt 8.5" ring gear. Plus, it has stouter axles and axle tubes. Much, much stronger than the 10 bolt overall. The only weakness in this rear end is the stock carrier, but the trutrac will fix that. It also usually comes with JB6 brakes. That's all the same up front as what you have, except for the proportioning valve. In the rear The JB6 brakes are 11.15" x 2.75" drum brakes.

The 11" brakes are a nice upgrade as well, dramatically improving brake feel and performance. They improve feel because the wheel cylinder has a 1" bore compared to 1-3/16 on the 10" drums. It takes less fluid to activate them so the brake feels firmer and has less travel. Even with the smaller wheel cylinder the 11" brakes are more powerful both because of the bigger diameter and the "Duo Servo" design of the brakes. The stock 10" brakes are "leading-trailing" design, which is a lot less powerful than duo servo. That's why you need a new proportioning valve. The stock one delivers way too much pressure to the rears for the duo servo 11" brakes.

If you stick with a 10 bolt, you'll probably blow it again. That'll be a LOT less likely with the 14 bolt.

Thanks man! I've actually got a rear disk conversion already on my 10 bolt and am wondering what problems I'll run into there, hopefully just buy new disk brakes and slap em on the 14 bolt. Do you have a link for the proper truetrac for the 14 bolt with a six lug pattern? Also my mechanic was thinking the neck of the diff might be longer than the stock one which would change the the driveshaft length, another 500$ to rebuild the shaft. I have a feeling it's the same but id like to confirm with someone first. The truck is 4wd but never gets put into 4x4 because I only drive it during the summer. I'd like to convert it to 2wd eventually which makes me want to invest in a good rear end even more. Thanks for your help everyone it's really helping me out right now because my mechanic is trying to get me to invest in stock rebuilding my 10 bolt which could just be a big waste of money especially because I like to drive it hard.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$500 to shorten and balance a drive shaft? Does he think they are made of gold? I'm sure glad I don't live in your neck of the woods.

OP
OP
Black1996

Black1996

Reaction score
Yeah no doubt, I wish I lived in the states, prices in canada are stupid compared to the US

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock driveshaft works just fine. You'll need a conversion u-joint is all. You gotta make sure the 14 bolt you get is from the same series as your rig. You have a '97, so you need a axle from a 92 through 98 Suburban--maybe some '99s?--or a '88 through '98 Pickup. The ones out of newer or older rigs will not bolt up. They could be modded I'm sure, but that's a ton of money. The nice thing about the suburban is it has the right combination valve as well. But if you're going disc/disc then you don't want that combination valve anyway. The pickup can be a light 3/4 ton or a heavy half ton. If it is listed as 7200 GVWR it should have the 14 bolt SF axle. Also, you have to get the axle out of a 4WD. the 2WD version will not bolt up to your rig. The spring perches are about 5" too narrow on the 2WD. Measure the rear end from wheel mating surface to wheel mating surface. (The outside of the drum where the wheel mates up against.) You need to see 67". It might even be 67.5"? Doesn't matter as long as it's very close to 67" if you see 65" or less you have the wrong--2WD--rear end.

Around here--Portland, Oregon--these rear ends are pretty cheap compared to what I've read about the northeast. I picked up a good solid one for $200. It had an open diff, but I didn't care as I wanted to put in a trutrac anyway. The G80 ones go for about $400, and I found some that were good but with a bad G80 mechanism for $150. Every single G80 unit I opened up to look at had problems. It's got this gear ring with tiny teeth--looks like it belongs in a clock, not a diff. Every single one had many of those tiny teeth broken off. I'd never even consider a G80 again after all the bad ones I saw.

Do remember that you want to get the upper and lower U-bolt plates. They are different for the 14 bolt SF. Without those plates you'll be spending another $100 for mounting hardware. The guy pulling the axle for me just tossed them in for free. What's weird is that GM lists two part numbers for the lower plates, one for left and one for Right. I studied those damn things for hours and could not find a difference between the left and the right. I marked them L and R anyway and mounted them appropriately. Better to be safe...

I've not looked into the rear disc, so I can't help you there. Just remember you'll want a Disc/Disc Master cylinder and combination valve. Also, make sure you have good balance front to rear. Your rear brakes need to be less powerful than the fronts. If your rears lock up before your fronts you could spin during heavy breaking. The best way to balance your breaks is to match components with a factory setup. If you put on rear disc, get the same front disc, master cylinder and combination valve setup that went with the rears. Possibly even the ABS... You need to find out if the ABS unit does any proportioning or if it just does the ABS function. The later years of the OBS trucks have the combo valve bolted right to the ABS, but the valve can be swapped.

If you don't clone a factory setup then you really need to have someone that really knows their shit help you setup your brakes. That's beyond me which is why I cloned a factory setup off of the same body vehicle as mine.

For the trutrac, just google Eaton and get the part number off of their website. I forget the part number, but I got the diff from Summit. They didn't have the best price, but they matched the best price I could find online.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black1996

Black1996

Reaction score
I've got an update on the rear end. Initially the mechanic only discovered the right side axle shaft being bent and asked for my permission to replace it. So I went ahead and did that only to discover afterwards that my carrier was cracked also. When they installed the axle shaft it wouldn't seal due to rear disk conversion so once they machined it they were unable to return it for the refund. So now instead of upgrading to a 14 bolt I'm stuck with a 10 bolt since I have almost 350$ of work done to it already. Now I'm looking at a new carrier that will work well with my 10 bolt and have stumbled across another brand other than Eaton or Detroit called "Auburn". My dad has this brand in his 450rwhp firebird. I've read that the truetrac has non wearable parts unlike the Auburn and most other clutch driven posi units. The Auburn carrier is about 50$ cheaper than the truetrac so I'm wondering which route I should go. The money isn't the biggest issue but if I can save some money I'd be all for it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Here are links for each carrier

https://www.mosercanada.com/product...gm47/detroit-truetrac-gm-10-bolt-85-rear.html

https://www.mosercanada.com/product...t-gm-85-inc-bearings-30-spline1293473211.html