Rear driver side brakes making awful creaking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2015 Tahoe has a terrible creaking sound from the rear driver side. Doesn't appear to affect anything, but just sounds awful. I cannot figure out what is causing it or how to fix it. I ran across another thread here with a similar problem that turned out to be the parking brake cable. Not sure if that is my problem, but if so I'm not even sure how to fix that. Anyway, here is a video I took last night of me pumping the brake pedal back and forth a little. When I took the tire off and put my head down near the rotor, it actually sounded like it was coming from the caliper.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the condition of the pads. On some pads, there is a metal piece on the pad (warning indicator) that rubs on the rotor, when the pad thickness reduces to a certain point.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the condition of the pads. On some pads, there is a metal piece on the pad (warning indicator) that rubs on the rotor, when the pad thickness reduces to a certain point.
The pads are good. Just checked them when I rotated the tires and they aren't even close to the squealer.

It makes the sound when the car is not even moving. The video was of the car sitting in the garage and me pumping the brake pedal just to get it to make the sound.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Understood. Perhaps there is insufficient lube on the caliper alignment pins or on the outer edges of the pads themselves.
Yea, sounds like dry movement of caliper and/or hardware. Especially since you are not moving. Looks like a little rust in there. Live in a salt on roads state?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this EXACT sound on my 2017 with about 125k on it when I replaced the brakes. Pull the caliper off, clean the hardware clips and mating surfaces, lube the slide pins, and put a smear of high temp silicone on the backing of the pads where they contact the caliper. Noise will go away

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this EXACT sound on my 2017 with about 125k on it when I replaced the brakes. Pull the caliper off, clean the hardware clips and mating surfaces, lube the slide pins, and put a smear of high temp silicone on the backing of the pads where they contact the caliper. Noise will go away
I just did this exact same thing to them except I use copper anti-seize on the clips and pad contact points.

It sounds very similar to a bed creaking or a metal spring. I'm thinking I might rebuild the calipers to see if that helps. I recently did that on my Avalanche with a stuck caliper. Just need to figure out the part numbers now.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, sounds like dry movement of caliper and/or hardware. Especially since you are not moving. Looks like a little rust in there. Live in a salt on roads state?
No salt here in North Georgia. That rust color is the copper anti-seize I put on the back of the pads.

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calipers. Very common. Nothing to do with the bracket or pins. The piston in the bore is making the noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts