Rear A/C filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kablooie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've read plenty on how to service/update the front cabin filter for my 2006 YXLD... however (1) what about the rear air system? Someone told me there is a sponge filter that can be cleaned and put back, (2) is this true? (3) What else would cause a pungent stench when the rear heater is turned on through the floor vents?
tia,
louie

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember seeing a sponge type filter for the rear AC when I was messing with mine last year but mine is an 02 YXLD
Also, there is a small heater core back there that might be leaking which might cause the bad smell, but I'd think you would see a bit of coolant loss.

Bowzer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likely mildew on the evap coil. Look up "dirty sock syndrome". There are some spray treatments that might help.

AH64Medic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read plenty on how to service/update the front cabin filter for my 2006 YXLD... however (1) what about the rear air system? Someone told me there is a sponge filter that can be cleaned and put back, (2) is this true? (3) What else would cause a pungent stench when the rear heater is turned on through the floor vents?
tia,
louie

Try running the rear AC and see if the smell is still there. The only reason I say that is if it is doesn't smell on AC then perhaps the smell is coming from the rear heater core or the heater core area. There is a door that directs air over the heater core or evaporator. If it smells either way then perhaps its the filter, rear vents (you'd have to check the whole rear venting system) or maybe something in the blower itself. Should be able to isolate the smell that way. Just a pita to remove all the tiny screws that hold it all together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cateyeburb