Random driveline clunk when accelerating from a full stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KC 2013 Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2013 Tahoe, 5.3L, 127K miles.
Bought her used at ~46K miles.
I change the engine oil/filter every 4K miles, Trans fluid/filter every 2 years, transfer case and diff's every year.
Engine runs and idles smoothly, right at 500RPM in Drive per the dash tach.

When pulling away from a traffic light from idle, we'll periodically get a solid "clunk" that you can feel. (probably 1 out of every 4 times)
Feels like its coming from transfer case area but not certain.
Started doing this about a year after getting her, but never have been able to detect where its coming from, nor has it caused any problems.
It's very mild under a light throttle, but very pronounced if you hit the gas hard, say to pull out onto a major street.
Again, the odd thing is that it's periodic and doesn't do this every time.

FWIW, we had the Trans and Torque converter rebuilt 2 years ago at 110K miles after the converter failed. Made no difference at all.
Saw some posts about older models having a slip yoke binding issue, but 2013 was supposed to be well after those issues.
When I'm underneath to service it, there's no unusual play in the driveshafts either to the front or rear diff's.

It's hard to tell exactly, but does feel as if its coming from the transfer case area.
What really stumps me is the periodic nature. If it was wear, would think it would do this every time.
Also seems odd, as I believe the driveline is loaded-up when idling in gear. So even if there is drivelline slop, the preload from the trans being in gear while idling should keep any lash from being felt. Very odd.

Kevin

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2013 Tahoe, 5.3L, 127K miles.
Bought her used at ~46K miles.
I change the engine oil/filter every 4K miles, Trans fluid/filter every 2 years, transfer case and diff's every year.
Engine runs and idles smoothly, right at 500RPM in Drive per the dash tach.

When pulling away from a traffic light from idle, we'll periodically get a solid "clunk" that you can feel. (probably 1 out of every 4 times)
Feels like its coming from transfer case area but not certain.
Started doing this about a year after getting her, but never have been able to detect where its coming from, nor has it caused any problems.
It's very mild under a light throttle, but very pronounced if you hit the gas hard, say to pull out onto a major street.
Again, the odd thing is that it's periodic and doesn't do this every time.

FWIW, we had the Trans and Torque converter rebuilt 2 years ago at 110K miles after the converter failed. Made no difference at all.
Saw some posts about older models having a slip yoke binding issue, but 2013 was supposed to be well after those issues.
When I'm underneath to service it, there's no unusual play in the driveshafts either to the front or rear diff's.

It's hard to tell exactly, but does feel as if its coming from the transfer case area.
What really stumps me is the periodic nature. If it was wear, would think it would do this every time.
Also seems odd, as I believe the driveline is loaded-up when idling in gear. So even if there is drivelline slop, the preload from the trans being in gear while idling should keep any lash from being felt. Very odd.

Kevin
motor mounts and front diff mounts are both known to cause this as well a broken or missing sway bar end link

OP
OP
KC 2013 Tahoe

KC 2013 Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys - Thanks so much for your spot-on advice!

Brake torqued the engine with the hood up and couldn't believe how much it moved... I could make it "thunk" on command with the accelerator. O'Reilly had 1 mount that I bought yesterday, with the other arriving today.
Those suckers list at $90 but with my discount they were $37.15 each (I have a small side business working on collector cars).

Will be replacing them Saturday and will let you all know how it goes.
BTW - The front sway bar bushings and end links looked OK, but could stand a refresh after 11 years of Arizona summer heat.
Didn't get to the front diff mounts, but will check them when I'm under there doing this.

Thanks again for the great advice!

Kevin

Power Torque Engine Mount​

Line: PTQ Item: C3211

orly_c3211_101_fro.jpg
orly_c3211_202_ang_primary.jpg
orly_c3211_303_lef.jpg
orly_c3211_404_bac.jpg
orly_c3211_505_rit.jpg

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/javascript:void(0)

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys - Thanks so much for your spot-on advice!

Brake torqued the engine with the hood up and couldn't believe how much it moved... I could make it "thunk" on command with the accelerator. O'Reilly had 1 mount that I bought yesterday, with the other arriving today.
Those suckers list at $90 but with my discount they were $37.15 each (I have a small side business working on collector cars).

Will be replacing them Saturday and will let you all know how it goes.
BTW - The front sway bar bushings and end links looked OK, but could stand a refresh after 11 years of Arizona summer heat.
Didn't get to the front diff mounts, but will check them when I'm under there doing this.

Thanks again for the great advice!

Kevin

Power Torque Engine Mount​

Line: PTQ Item: C3211

View attachment 424877
View attachment 424878
View attachment 424879
View attachment 424880
View attachment 424881

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/javascript:void(0)

watch some youtube videos. it looks like a rough install.

let us know how it goes, I've been putting mine off but I'm sure it needs them like they all do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019