ran like crap now no start issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big95hoe

Reaction score
95 tahoe 4wd 5.7
going down the highway Saturday morning went to accelerate and out of no where start spitting and sputtering barely running had to keep gassing it just to keep it running. Finally got it home and read the code, code 15 coolant temp sensor. Replaced that this morning and now flashing code 12 and it's not even acting like its trying to start. What should I start looking at? Distributor? Coil? And it doesn't seem like I hear the fuel pump but I don't know if its something else causing that to not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
big95hoe

big95hoe

Reaction score
It flashes code 12 three times like it's supposed to then continues to flash 12.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
check the fuel pressure for 13-15 psi on a tbi and the spark test as well. tools can be bought or borrowed with deposit at parts store. you will need the fuel tester with adapters because on the tbi you have to tap into the line inline with the line between filter and tb. does not hurt to check the fuses under the hood either.

OP
OP
big95hoe

big95hoe

Reaction score
OTE="SunlitComet, post: 965520, member: 8604"]check the fuel pressure for 13-15 psi on a tbi and the spark test as well. tools can be bought or borrowed with deposit at parts store. you will need the fuel tester with adapters because on the tbi you have to tap into the line inline with the line between filter and tb. does not hurt to check the fuses under the hood either.[/QUOTE]
I'll check those and get back to you. Thank you.

OP
OP
big95hoe

big95hoe

Reaction score
Well, it's getting fuel, I can see it being sprayed onto the butterflies in the throttle body. I just don't have any spark. @SunlitComet think it could be the coil? Is there anyway to test it?

OP
OP
big95hoe

big95hoe

Reaction score
Ok I found the issue, I think. Took off the dist. cap to see of the rotor was even spinning while cranking, there's no metal piece on the rotor anymore so I'm guessing that's the problem going to replace cap and rotor and see what the does. I did check the coil to make sure that was sparking and it did.

Cameron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the metal piece was missing then that would most likely be the cause of not sparking even if it did spark it would probably be a weak spark. A new rotor and cap should definitely do the trick

OP
OP
big95hoe

big95hoe

Reaction score
Sorry guys, got caught up cleaning some wild hogs we trapped. Replaced the cap and rotor and she's purring like an elephant again. I appreciate all your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Friendy