Rainy day mods/tweaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it looks like its going to rain here the next couple of days. I've got no detailing left to do (not any I feel like doing anyway). I'm looking for some cheap & easy mods or tweaks I can do.

Yesterday I cleaned the MAFS and throttle body. The MAFS didn't really look dirty but the butterfly valve area an the throttle body was pretty gunked up. It feels like she may be a little more peppy after the cleaning... maybe its all in my head.

Mt thoughts this morning were to change spark plugs and fuel filter. I have an 07 Tahoe Z71 with 80,000 miles. Come to find out, the fuel filter is not really accessible. The plugs seem easy enough but I hear number 8 is a PITA. I have limited tools since I'm out of town but don't mind picking up a couple tools if I need to.

I doubt the plugs have ever been changed in this vehicle. Question: I understand the plugs provide an initial spark to get things going in the engine but do they serve a purpose after that? If so, how can they affect performance and gas mileage? Don't need an in depth answer, keep it simple, I'm not very engine savvy. I was thinking since the throttle body was a little caked then plugs might be too. I'm sure this will lead someone to suggest a catch can, that may get done down the road.

Right now I'm just looking for something I can do by heading down to NAPA or Advanced and picking something up to treat my Hoe...

Last edited:

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked into dropping a Modular Intake Tube in? I've been looking at doing that for awhile and will probably get around to it this summer. I've already got a K&N filter, so adding the Airaid MIT will essentially make it an Airaid Jr. Looks like the tube is $126-$146 on Amazon with positive reviews and takes maybe 20 minutes to install.

OP
OP
Snacky

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked into dropping a Modular Intake Tube in? I've been looking at doing that for awhile and will probably get around to it this summer. I've already got a K&N filter, so adding the Airaid MIT will essentially make it an Airaid Jr. Looks like the tube is $126-$146 on Amazon with positive reviews and takes maybe 20 minutes to install.

Matt, I have the Airaid Jr and didn't really care for it until I got a new muffler and deleted the resonator. It sounded funny, now it all works together nicely.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Let's see if I can get this thread rolling a bit. Sea Foam motor treatment is a cheap tweak that I did today. It wasn't rainy but I suppose if it were you could do it in the garage... may want to open the door :) check out my How-To vid!

http://youtu.be/dlRrmS_S4-4

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was AWESOME, great video man.
Did you notice any difference after? Or, has it been long enough too notice a difference, hah. Just saw you did it an hour ago.
Nice man, thanks for the info and video.
That's on my "to do" list.

OP
OP
Snacky

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was AWESOME, great video man.
Did you notice any difference after? Or, has it been long enough too notice a difference, hah. Just saw you did it an hour ago.
Nice man, thanks for the info and video.
That's on my "to do" list.

Thanks S!

ehhhhhhh maybe there's a little difference. I still haven't gotten used to the new exhaust. Been changing and tweaking things so fast its hard to tell what is doing what. I can tell you the damn thing is running strong and peppy (knock on wood). I was kind of bummed yet relieved when I didn't see the insanely huge cloud of smoke I saw on some other youtube videos. I definately noticed a difference when I cleaned the MAFS, that'll cost ya 7 bucks and no more than 30 minutes, all you need is a screwdriver and a can of MAFS cleaner or electronics parts cleaner. As for Sea Foam, It'll cost ya 12 bucks and 30 minutes... curious how it turns out for ya. Would love to hear about some other easy tweaks you guys are doing. Well, easy or not easy is fine, I need a to-do list that doesn't break the bank, plenty of things on the I-want list already :)

Last edited:

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SQuestion: I understand the plugs provide an initial spark to get things going in the engine but do they serve a purpose after that? If so, how can they affect performance and gas mileage? ...

Wait....... what????

OP
OP
Snacky

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait....... what????

OK I'm busted. I should have said I understand the plugs provide a spark to get things going in the cylinder head but what happens to plugs that makes them need to be replaced? Getting dirty? Old age. I imagine if they are misfiring you would know. What, other than a misfire, makes a plug bad? a smaller spark from grime or old age causing delayed ignition and screwed up timing? Maybe I just answered my own question, not sure... just couldn't find much info on it so I thought I'd ask here, everything just says "change them at X miles.". Also don't really understand how a "performance" plug can make a difference.

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

Exactly why not to follow that sea foam how to. Our trucks if your really must seafoam has to be done through the intake.

Dang and here I was all proud of the video, I don't want to give mis-information. I've seen super strong opinions both ways on the top engine cleaning. I can tell you I won't be putting any in with my oil as some do right before an oil change. I couldn't find anything that says don't use a vacuum line like I had done on a couple other vehicles in the past and like it says on their website. This line feeds all cylinders doesn't it, why does it have to be done through the intake on our trucks? Would you use a different product like MCCC or stick with something that goes in the tank like Techron?

Last edited:

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you have really high miles I would not sea foam at all yet. Run good gas use a little marvel mystery oil here and there and you should be fine.

OP
OP
Snacky

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, i'm sitting at about 80 K, which isn't really high in terms of life of the truck but it's a decent chunk of miles. It was one owner and was driven by a soccer mom. I read somewhere that if a vehicle has constantly been driven conservatively that the carbon buildup etc. doesn't get "loosened up and pushed out." I can't remember where I read that so it may or may not be true, it could just be some dude's theory. Oh well, it was fun anyway. Do you know of seafoam damaging the engine in anyway when put in the vac line. If so point me in the right direction and I'll pull the video down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaptainkhaos58