Questions about doing a cat delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i appreciate all the replies and it definitely sounds like the cons outweigh the pros here , and even the cost makes it seem not worth doing with the sensor resistors and an almost mandatory tune and possibly future engine issues by not having the cats back pressure. Now the trick is finding some cheap cats lol

If you're looking for cheap cats Jeremy, buy 4 to get you through the year. It's been 3 years and 36K miles on my Magnaflow cats and y-pipe.

1Duffman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As someone who has done this I can tell you, if I can cut and weld you can do it too. But yes you will have a check engine light for catalyst efficiency and would need the codes turned off. I have noticed the sound increase is engine dependant. 6.0s are way louder without cats then 5.3s, haven't heard a catless 6.2.

BBBUUUUUTTTTT....... Why are you having converter issues...? A catalytic converter is designed to, and will last forever. A damaged converter is a symptom of another problem, usually that problem is over fueling. Why is there to much fuel? Do you have broken manifold bolts? #1 Cause of melted/damaged cats is broken exhaust manifold bolts/studs. Broken bolts create a leak, he leak creates a venturi effect sucking in fresh oxygen. The 02s see the oxygen as lean then adds more fuel to compensate and therefor saturates the converter with fuel. The fuel eventually burns and melts the catalyst inside.

Leaky fuel injectors can do the same damage for the same reason, to much fuel.

A bad 02 can over fuel also. Yes you may have replaced them all. but the damage was already done

Make sure there is nothing else wrong otherwise you'll end up back in the same expensive spot.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone who has done this I can tell you, if you can cut and weld you can do it too. But yes you will have a check engine light for catalyst efficiency and would need the codes turned off. I have noticed the sound increase is engine dependant. 6.0s are way louder without cats then 5.3s, haven't heard a catless 6.2.

BBBUUUUUTTTTT....... Why are you having converter issues...? A catalytic converter is designed to, and will last forever. A damaged converter is a symptom of another problem, usually that problem is over fueling. Why is there to much fuel? Do you have broken manifold bolts? #1 Cause of melted/damaged cats is broken exhaust manifold bolts/studs. Broken bolts create a leak, he leak creates a venturi effect sucking in fresh oxygen. The 02s see the oxygen as lean then adds more fuel to compensate and therefor saturates the converter with fuel. The fuel eventually burns and melts the catalyst inside.

Leaky fuel injectors can do the same damage for the same reason, to much fuel.

A bad 02 can over fuel also. Yes you may have replaced them all. but the damage was already done

Make sure there is nothing else wrong otherwise you'll end up back in the same expensive spot.
Cats definitely don’t last forever. The most I’ve gotten out of one is about 150k. They’re a wear item just like everything else. The last ones I replaced, on my 02, went at about 140k. Nothing wrong with the engine, no exhaust leaks. They just fell apart inside and clogged up, putting the engine in limp mode since it couldn’t breathe out.

1Duffman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would say you had a problems. Got one with 300,***+, one with 266,***, and just sold one with almost 300,***. All had original cats. They are designed to last forever and are not a ware item, thats like saying your transmission is a ware item. $1000 cats, $1000 dollar transmission right...? Catalytic converters like your transmission are supposed to be for the life of the vehicle, IF YOU KEEP UP MAINTIANCE. If you dont fix leaks, clogs, or sensors, you start F'n stuff up. 2,000,000 miles or kilometers is not out of the question for anything provided shit gets fixed before something else goes wrong... unless its a Ford, never heard of a 2 million mile Ford anything...

Javie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to go this route but the entire industry is set against it and so I just got new cats and y-pipe. Nobody is allowed to sell a catless Y-pipe for a non antique or else the G-men will come knocking at their door. Wusses.

Plus, your car won't stink and will still be quiet, remember, the cats are right on the firewall!
I have and the difference (at least for me) is night and day . Love the way she has opened up especially at higher 70-100 mph speeds! I threw a borla on her and she sounds refined . Much punchier response when i hit the throttle.

King Arthur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have universal cats on my 96 Tahoe 4x4 runs really good, but i get a rotten egg smell after hard excel.

TxTaz

Reaction score
I have Peacesetter long tube headers, offroad y-pipe, Magnaflow mufflers with dual exhaust out on a 6.0l and it's LOUD! Especially on downshift while accelerating. I'm planning on adding an x-pipe and 2 Vibrant performance resonators. I think that will sound perfect and be awesome power for towing a boat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700