Question about a Border Patrol 2008

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't mean to be a downer, but the cluster was probably replaced and the truck itself probably has more than 12k miles.

If you don't see a spacer above or below front strut, then the bilsteins are up a notch or two..
And the fact that you can read the DIC it looks like it was replaced or fixed. I think the millage / Eng hours information is maintained in the ECM right?

OP
OP
JTS197

JTS197

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
don't mean to be a downer, but the cluster was probably replaced and the truck itself probably has more than 12k miles.

If you don't see a spacer above or below front strut, then the bilsteins are up a notch or two..
Do you think if it is a former govt Tahoe, they would have to disclose that?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no idea, but a carfax should hopefully have some record.

I thought the mileage was stored in the ecm as well... not sure if a tech2 shows that info or what..

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's defiantly a CBP Border Patrol tahoe. They customize them to where they will be stationed not all will have armor underneath or hood vents or lifted. And no they would not disclose that. How many engine hors does it have ??

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1690221568088.png
visit a bone yard, locate one of these, and add to your dash panel - valuable info in there. You can also buy a Drive Info Ctr button (DIC) and custom fit in your existing panel. All the wiring is tucked behind the existing panel and is plug and play. This will give you the engine hours, TPS readings, when/if your rigs is running AFM.
From the looks of your dash, the TPS sensors are either not programmed or non-existent in your wheels. Any shop should be able to program or get yourself a tool from AMZ. I got mine specifically because I do winter tire swaps on my wife's Equinox.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all the hours, miles, gallons, trip, etc are stored in the cluster, the only way to get a idea of actual mileage is carfax or call any gm dealer service department and provide the vin, they can tell you what work was done to it at what mileage if it was taken to a gm dealer.

OP
OP
JTS197

JTS197

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
no idea, but a carfax should hopefully have some record.

I thought the mileage was stored in the ecm as well... not sure if a tech2 shows that info or what..
I pulled a Carfax on it before I bought it. It showed 11800 but only at the time of when it was auctioned. There were only 2 other entries in there from 2010/2011 for a service check at some shop. The mileage at those 2 points were around 2600 and 3500 miles. I tried to hook my Autel to it to see if I could pull up the mileage, but it seems that maybe the Autel I have is not compatible? It will read the VIN, but that's about it.

Carfax.PNG

View attachment 404662
visit a bone yard, locate one of these, and add to your dash panel - valuable info in there. You can also buy a Drive Info Ctr button (DIC) and custom fit in your existing panel. All the wiring is tucked behind the existing panel and is plug and play. This will give you the engine hours, TPS readings, when/if your rigs is running AFM.
From the looks of your dash, the TPS sensors are either not programmed or non-existent in your wheels. Any shop should be able to program or get yourself a tool from AMZ. I got mine specifically because I do winter tire swaps on my wife's Equinox.
That is going to be my next purchase. Trying to find one with the silver trim seems to be a challenge online.

One of the few things I am working on is trying to get those rear doors unlocked :mad:. I can't open the doors from the inside or outside. I managed to pull the lock knobs out and found this: PXL_20230725_104509987.jpg

But removing that bolt, I don't think will fix the door issue. I wouldn't want to but I feel like I might have to "gorilla" the door panel off to get to the linkage. Any thoughts?

I also managed to find a "before auction" pic of my Tahoe in its former glory:

1GNFK13078R270007-2008-chevrolet-tahoe-3-84bf33.jpg

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, well either the cluster was changed around 2010 or you really do only have 12k miles!

The other reason I thought your cluster may have been swapped is the gap at the top of your cluster, looks like the trim might not be snapped in all the way or something.

k9rockydog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pulled a Carfax on it before I bought it. It showed 11800 but only at the time of when it was auctioned. There were only 2 other entries in there from 2010/2011 for a service check at some shop. The mileage at those 2 points were around 2600 and 3500 miles. I tried to hook my Autel to it to see if I could pull up the mileage, but it seems that maybe the Autel I have is not compatible? It will read the VIN, but that's about it.

View attachment 404695

That is going to be my next purchase. Trying to find one with the silver trim seems to be a challenge online.

One of the few things I am working on is trying to get those rear doors unlocked :mad:. I can't open the doors from the inside or outside. I managed to pull the lock knobs out and found this: View attachment 404696

But removing that bolt, I don't think will fix the door issue. I wouldn't want to but I feel like I might have to "gorilla" the door panel off to get to the linkage. Any thoughts?

View attachment 404697
check where the front doors latch for a choke cable pull knob.. thats what mine had to lock both rear doors..

Nighthawkpearl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

View attachment 404695

One of the few things I am working on is trying to get those rear doors unlocked :mad:. I can't open the doors from the inside or outside. I managed to pull the lock knobs out and found this: View attachment 404696

View attachment 404697
Can you check the engine hours? You haven’t answered for engine hours. Do you know how to check engine hours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hpark1975