Quartz Coated '15 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAgency

Reaction score
Fellas,
For those of you not familiar with the Quartz-type paint coatings, they provide an additional "clear coat" of sorts, which helps to protect against swirls and minor scratches, makes washing and drying much easier, and adds a much more durable gloss than conventional carnuba waxes and other sealants, which last only weeks at a time.

I used Optimum's new Gloss Coat, which was applied to all paint and exterior plastic. The hydrophobic qualities of this coating are insane, which is useful in dirty Minnesota winter's.

Application of such coatings does require flawless paint, free from all contaminants, marring from shipping and dealership washes, and general flaws. I also had terrible water spots all over the truck from dealership spray-downs and rain. I consider myself a "prosumer" detailer, never doing work for hire, but passionate about having perfect paint on my own cars. Let me just say, this was a TON of work, but the results should speak for themselves! Start to finish, exterior only, I've put about 20 hours into it. I would highly recommend this type of application for anyone who's a fanatic about their paint, whether they pay a pro-detailer or find the patience in themselves.

Decontaminate: Chemical Guys Citrus Wash, CarPro IronX, NanoSkin 6" Fine Grade Clay Pad
Cutting: Menzerna FG400 with Meguiar's Microfiber Cutting Pad on Porter Cable DA Polisher, Menzerna PF2500 on Orange pad
Polishing: Menzerna SF4500 on Black pad
Coating: Menzerna Top Inspection Spray Wipedown, followed by 2x 20% IPA wipedown, Optimum Gloss Coat applied to all paint surfaces and exterior plastic

Attachments

• Photo Dec 28, 1 35 32 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 28, 1 35 32 PM.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Photo Dec 28, 1 36 21 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 28, 1 36 21 PM.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Photo Dec 28, 1 37 18 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 28, 1 37 18 PM.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Photo Dec 28, 1 36 11 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 28, 1 36 11 PM.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Photo Dec 28, 1 36 38 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 28, 1 36 38 PM.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 34

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So to use Quartz one has to strip the paint down of all waxes, coatings, etc? Then hit it with a swirl remover, and build it back up?

Looks great!

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
So to use Quartz one has to strip the paint down of all waxes, coatings, etc? Then hit it with a swirl remover, and build it back up?

Looks great!

Yes. paint has to be clean and perfect before applying it.

OP
OP
TheAgency

TheAgency

Reaction score
Aside from needing to remove all of the defects, which would get "locked in" under it, the quartz coating is designed to bond with the vehicle's clear coat only. There can't be anything in between, from waxes and other sealants to even iron contaminants from shipping. That's why the decontamination process and paint correction process is so important.

That's why paint needs to be cleaned after compounding and polishing twice with an IPA (isopropyl alcohol) wipedown to remove the carrier oils in the polishes.

What most don't realize, is that most products branded as swirl and scratch removers, and also glazes used by dealerships, are full of fillers. These last for weeks at best before the defects reappear.

This coating is meant to replace your waxes, offering years of longevity and actual surface protection. While you can apply a sealant or wax on top of the coating, you'd lose the repellent properties of the coating and inherit the properties of whatever product you put on, which frankly can't compare.

SHWA

Reaction score
Looks awesome!!! Wish I had the time/patience/skills to do this to our ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qurba55