pulled the trigger... LQ4/4L80 swap (6.0 vortec)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hook50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks, very good info. this is part of my homework lol once i seen what your doing i knew i would get some good info outta this. but like you say i am a bit mechanically inclined but far from a mechanic. i want the low end grunt but also want some good top end power as well.

OP
OP
branndon_b

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was really worried that my last post was gonna come off "dick," i didn't mean for it to if it did. was just saying that i wasn't a real good source of info on this kind of thing. i just told them what i wanted to do, and they spec'd out the stuff they thought would get me what i was after. hopefully after it's all said and done i'll get it dyno'd and we'll see what kind of numbers it puts up. unfortunately i won't have a stock baseline to compare it to, so i guess i'll have to just assume stock numbers. but i'm hoping for some good hp/tq. better be for all the $$$ going into it huh. lol

Dempsey561

Reaction score
That's going to be one hell of a yukon when you get done with it. Good luck man. Thumbs up.

OP
OP
branndon_b

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright, i have in my possession my newly respringed 243 heads with dual springs and titanium retainers. still waiting on my converter, evidently it's still tied up with ups, but on its way. so as soon as tuesday comes i can start putting my heads on, waiting on my arp bolt lube to make sure i get good torque that i scored, but isn't gonna get here till tuesday. hopefully start the buildup soon boys. stay tuned!

OP
OP
branndon_b

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, it started as a budget build, didn't wanna go into the bottom end and kinda turned into one thing leading to another. but it was a low mileage motor, so i'm assuming that the block/pistons were still good. still had crosshatching in the bores, so i'm gonna venture to say it was still in good shape. we'll see how it goes, keeping my fingers crossed at this point.

OP
OP
branndon_b

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one head on, had to leave to go help my dad with some stuff, otherwise i may have gotten both done. gonna throw the other one on tomorrow.

SDC10447.jpg

TonyJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cool project. I've got a '96 Hoe that could use some 6 liter love. Might be a good excuse to drop the Hoe engine into my '71 Blazer... Wish I had more time and $$$.

Watching this thread. Good luck, Tony

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

Saw this the other day. Really interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaGQrdl_Tj8

OP
OP
branndon_b

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SDC10455.jpg

torquing the second head

SDC10456.jpg

SDC10457.jpg

double valve springs with titanium retainers

SDC10458.jpg

SDC10459.jpg

SDC10460.jpg

SDC10461.jpg

torque converter

SDC10462.jpg

SDC10463.jpg

new converter again

SDC10464.jpg

SDC10465.jpg

new vs. old

SDC10466.jpg

SDC10467.jpg

SDC10468.jpg

flywheel back on

SDC10469.jpg

harmonic balancer back on

SDC10470.jpg

just gonna clean up stuff some more, probably make some plates to pick up the motor and tranny together that bolt to the front and back of the heads. make it easier on me later. keep y'all posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr

Latest posts