pulled the trigger... LQ4/4L80 swap (6.0 vortec)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LQ9 needs high grade gas, LQ4 can run on lower octane ... easier on the wallet ...

OP
OP
branndon_b

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SDC10429.jpg

box of goodies. thunder racing trutorq stage 3 cam.

SDC10431.jpg

lifter trays, gaskets, pushrods

SDC10432.jpg

front timing cover, harmonic balancer removed

SDC10433.jpg

timing cover removed, old lifter trays

SDC10434.jpg

cam sprocket

SDC10435.jpg

cam sprocket removed, nose of cam

SDC10436.jpg

water pump bolts to use as a handle for making the cam removal/install easier

SDC10437.jpg

out with the old, in with the new

SDC10438.jpg

huh huh huh... hole... huh huh huh

SDC10439.jpg

lube 'er up, slide 'er in

SDC10440.jpg

another fuzzy pic

SDC10441.jpg

cam sprocket back on

SDC10442.jpg

new front seal

SDC10443.jpg

SDC10444.jpg

new lifter trays with lifters reinstalled. just waiting on my heads to get back, they were waiting on the spring kit. i know it's like watching paint dry, guys, but it's slowly getting there.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I AM GLAD YOU DECIDED TO GO WITH A CAM, so much easier...little things like this will make the whole build worth while!

KEEP IT UP!

OP
OP
branndon_b

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thunder racing from baton rouge, la. was gonna go stage 2, but with the new heads i was able to go stage 3.

hook50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks, is that where you are getting all of your "goodies"?lol. i checked out their website and why didnt you get a stage 4 or 5. and what heads are you using stock or aftermarket?

OP
OP
branndon_b

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lq4 is a dished piston, so lower compression. i am going from the iron heads (8xx) i don't exactly remember the numbers, and going to some stock 243's off a gto. it's a good bump in compression going to the 243's, so that's why i was able to go with the stage 3 over the stage 2. the shop said that bigger isn't always better, and without the sufficient compression, you'll actually end up losing power with an aggressive cam. i'm no expert in this field at all, so i just went with the recommendation of the shop. i wanted a daily driver, and i'll still need some low end torque, since our trucks ain't exactly light. it's not gonna see any track time, i just wanted something quicker. it's not always about getting the biggest, baddest cam you can find. you have to consider the type of driving you're doing, daily driver or not, rpm range you wanna operate in, etc. having a big badass cam and fast 102mm throttlebody and l92 heads is all good and fine, but if your combo doesn't make good power till like 4, 5000 rpms and pulls all the way to like 9000 rpm's, it doesn't do you much good unless you actually drive the piss out of it. and if you don't have a fully built motor, it doesn't do you any good to put equipment in it that makes power 2000+ rpms higher than your stock bottom end is good for. if you're really interested in doing stuff like power adders, i'd suggest calling a shop like thunder, or texas speed, or a shop that will spec it all out for you and take into consideration driving habits, torque converter stall speed, vehicle weight, etc. like i say, i'm far from any expert in this field, just encouraging you to do some one on one homework with someone that knows what they're doing vs. just getting the biggest baddest ass parts and trying to make something out of it that may not suit your needs.

Last edited: