subwoofer ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darkbluehoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
new guy i have a 2007 tahoe i am wanting to install 2 10 inch jl w3 behind the 3rd row seat, i want to know if it would sound better with a sealed box or ported.

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
I personally have never had ported setup due to lack of room in previous vehicles, but did consider it and am still considering it for the Kon. Depending on your preference, a slot ported (to JL's specs) box is supposed to yield an increase in dB. Below is an excerpt from http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/11232.pdf

"Inside you will find specifications and two recommended enclosures for your speaker; one is a sealed
enclosure, the other is a ported design. Both types of enclosures will give you excellent sound quality and
low-frequency extension. The sealed enclosure is a better choice if space is extremely tight, but the ported
enclosure will produce 3dB more output at the same power if you have the extra space to work with."

There are a few other members on here who will be able to provide first hand experience...

Welcome to the site BTW :cheers:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site. :cheers:

To me, and mainly with the space limitations you have, sealed.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my opinion....sealed give you tighter/cleaner bass while ported will give louder

but considering you want to squeeze it behind the third row I would go with sealed

not to mention you asked what would sound "better" I always think sealed sounds "better"

Nfamous60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a ported box and mine sound ridiculously clear and when i start turning it up i shake other car rear view mirrors. BLUEFLAME you kno my setup and not to mention once i did the power changes you suggested with the zero gauge wire and battery also added my kinetic cap it seems more consistent and louder to me. i say ported hands down and i have 2 10's tucked behind the 3rd row i can be 2 cars behind you and you can feel my bass in your chest with your windows rolled up ;).....but my port seperates my sub i'll find the pic's i took and post em

Attachments

• DSC01656.jpg
    DSC01656.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01654.jpg
    DSC01654.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01648.jpg
    DSC01648.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads