programing remote key fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ezombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone give me the instructions on how to reprogram my key fob remote for a 1996 Tahoe?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Locate the Data Link Port. It is located under dash drivers side. Be sure you know which pins are 8 and 4.
(Notice port is wider on top row)

2. Make sure there are metal contact pins in terminals 8 and 4. Connect 8 to 4 with a suitable jumper wire (paperclip) (leave the jumper wire connected throughout the programming procedure). Make sure you know which terminals are 8 and 4. The vehicle will respond by locking and unlocking the doors to signify entering of programming mode.

3. Press and hold both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together on the first transmitter to be programmed. After about 15 seconds, the vehicle will respond by locking and unlocking the doors. Release the buttons on the transmitter.

4. Within one minute, repeat the previous step on the remaining transmitters to be programmed.

5. Remove jumper wire applied to the OBDII Port.

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
I'm just putting this out there, but isn't there a procedure involving pulling the radio fuse, and turning the key a number of times in order to enter the key fob programming mode?

Anyone care to list the method to get into the "Feature Customization" programming mode?
..Since were on the topic

ncdrtyhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bowtiefreak has got it. Thats the way I did mine and took all of 30 seconds.

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
Take a paperclip, bend it into the shape of a "U", insert one end into port 4 and the other into port 8. The door locks will cycle to let you know they've entered the programmable mode. Depress the both the door lock and unlock key at the same time for 15 seconds. After 15 seconds, release the buttons, and remove the paper clip.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any one notice their remotes not working so well? I am constantly taking the thing apart and cleaning the contact surfaces. I took my own advice from above and did this to my existing remote and the thing works 10xs better than it used to

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to thread jack, but what does "resetting" the remote do? I took mine apart and it says "to reset press lock and unlock 7 seconds near car". Mine has been seen a noticeable decrease in the time it takes to unlock the doors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA