procharged 03 tahoe full exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iguana74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey. I've searched the web and these forums. I have a bit of a one-off question. Maybe a few of you could offer some advice.

I have an '03 Tahoe since new with a procharger since 2005. I am going to a 12lb pulley, which should roughly double my stock hp. I have a forged 5.3 bored 20 over and a LS6 cam.

I ran it on the dyno for a tune and at 6.2k rpm I put down 420hp and 400ft-lbs at 10.42 boost. Procharger messed up and didn't give me a small enough pulley.

The guy at the dyno said I could pick up 50 ft lbs torque by going with long tube headers.

So here is my dilemma... I want to do this RIGHT. I am willing to pay a bit extra to have it done right.

It seems as though Kooks long tube headers and y-pipe are the way to go.

So now I'm looking into the rest of the exhaust. I would prefer a true dual mandrel bent 3" x-pipe setup. Nobody seems to even make a smaller dual exhaust. I would like something that flows because I will be pushing upper 400's horsepower on the dyno.

I love the stock muffler because it's quiet and kind of a "sleeper". I really love the sound of the '06 Trailblazer SS. I would like to go with the mufflers off of these if stock won't work.

Any advice? Much appreciated!!!

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF!

You want a complete speed engineering kit. Don't waste money on over priced kooks.

Get the 1 7/8" headers with collector spikes and the new exhaust they are prototyping right now.

Headers

page 4 shows installed pics.
Exhaust link

Paint them and the exhaust with VHT high temp and wrap them for best gains..

Yess all of this will bolt in, you may need to adjust the mounting bars, but thats all. Of you find its to loud you can always change muffler or have some 12-18" staples bullets welded in to the intermediate pipes.
Even if you end up needing to add bullets or adjusting mounts. A full stainless 1 7/8", 3" collector with spikes, and 3" true duel with pipe exhaust for under 800$ is awesome!

FYI, is thats all the power you made on 10psi, your tune Is lacking.
Put in some NGK TR6 plugs, part number 4177. and get that thing tuned by someone who will push the timing.

Is your kit non intercooled? Are you running a meth kit?
What is wheel and tire size?
Are you 4wd?

What trans do you have? stock 4l60 or did you do a 80 swap?

Last edited:
OP
OP
iguana74

iguana74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You want a complete speed engineering kit. Don't waste money on over priced kooks.

Get the 1 7/8" headers with collector spikes and the new exhaust they are prototyping right now.

Headers

Exhaust link

Paint them and the xhaust with VHT high temp and wrap them for best gains..

Yess all of this will bolt in, you may need to adjust the mounting bars, but thats all.

FYI, is thats all the power you made on 10psi, your tune SUCKS.
Put in some NGK TR6 plugs, part number 4177. and get that thing tuned by someone who will push the timing.
420/400 @ 10psi, is very low... I would be pissed off at the shop who tuned that and told me that's all it will do.

Speed engineering looks cool, although this is a daily driver and need something that will last through the elements, snow/salt. That is like 1/4 the price of Kooks plus it says it is SS? wow!

Sorry I didn't mention it, but I do want my sensors in place for O2. I also have a wideband sensor. It says it does not have them.

The paint/wrap sounds good. What kind of gain should I expect with that?

I just put in brand new plugs. NGK V-Power TR55 3951 gapped to 33. It's what procharger recommended.

The guy that tuned it has the best name around here. I think he left it at 15 or 18 degrees.

Dynos are just a tuning tool. The guy that tuned it the first time got 430hp with 8.5lb boost, which is total bs, but again it's just for comparing runs. You can go from one dyno to another in the same day and the numbers will vary between 10-15%. Anyway, I don't want talk numbers. Just exhaust :)

stock 4L60. yes, I know it needs to be beefed up... I will once I get this exhaust in. I plan to go to a 14 lb pulley to compensate for the exhaust and still be at 12 lbs.

That full exhaust looks pretty sweet! oh yeah!

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF!

Headers

Exhaust link

Paint them and the exhaust with VHT high temp and wrap them for best gains..

Yess all of this will bolt in, you may need to adjust the mounting bars, but thats all. Of you find its to loud you can always change muffler or have some 12-18" staples bullets welded in to the intermediate pipes.
Even if you end up needing to add bullets or adjusting mounts. A full stainless 1 7/8", 3" collector with spikes, and 3" true duel with pipe exhaust for under 800$ is awesome!

FYI, is thats all the power you made on 10psi, your tune Is lacking.

Is your kit non intercooled? Are you running a meth kit?
What is wheel and tire size?
Are you 4wd?

if he was running nitromethane his dyno run would be like 820hp not 420hp

OP
OP
iguana74

iguana74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
'03 Tahoe LT 4wd, 4.11 gears factory
ATI Procharger, P-1SC, 3 core intercooler, 12lb pulley
5.3L forged, LS6 cam
60lb injectors
Motiv Maltese 20" wheels, Toyo Proxes 305/50/20 tires
'12 Chevy 20" wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler 305/50/20 tires
Baer Eradispeed rotors/brakes
Silverado SS white face guages
LED interior
Triple guage pillar pod w/Autometer; fuel psi, boost, air/fuel
Clear turn signal housing
Aftermarket rear light housing
Westin Platinum step bars
Billet grill
Billet chevy bowtie
Lund bug shield

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

I made a long post, but I guess it hasn't been approved yet...???

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

I don’t know what happened to my post. 
Anyway, that full exhaust looks pretty sweet! This is a daily driver, so it would need to last through snow/salt. Looks like the headers are stainless steel and ¼ the price of Kooks??
I will check out the paint/wrap. What kind of gain am I supposed to see with that?
If it’s too loud, I can try to swap the muffs out with trailblazer SS muffs.
Dynos are just tuning tools. The guy that tuned it the first time got 435hp on a 8.5 boost. Umm, no way! You can go from dyno to dyno on the same day and numbers will vary between 10-15%. So I wouldn’t take that number too seriously. It’s just for tuning and pull number comparisons.
The guy that tuned it now is considered the best in the area. I think he left it at 15 or 18 degrees. I am looking for low end 2k-3.5k rpm for towing. Not racing this thing. 
I am going to try and get a 14lb pulley to compensate for the higher flowing exhaust.

Air-to-air 3 core intercooler. No meth kit. Intake temps at 10.42 boost were in the 130’s.
Tires 305/50/20.
Yes, 4wd. Only way to go. 
Stock 4L60. Yes, I know, I know. Lol. Plan to beef it up after the exhaust.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Oh. I forgot to mention I just replaced the spark plugs. NGK V-Power TR55 3951, gapped to 33

Last edited:

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of parasitic hp loss comes with a procharger
because with the roots blower i put on my mustang the parasitic loss was quite alot but the gain was redicuolous on my 351 i went from 406 hp on the dyno to 616 hp at 592 ft lbs i went from high tens in the quarter to mid 8s but i had to run wrinkle wall slicks it would melt anything less

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

He means water/methanol injection not nitromethane.

awww no nitro meth
ahh so its a type air inlet cooling

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prochargers are much more efficient than a roots style blower

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

OP
OP
iguana74

iguana74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
what kind of parasitic hp loss comes with a procharger
because with the roots blower i put on my mustang the parasitic loss was quite alot but the gain was redicuolous on my 351 i went from 406 hp on the dyno to 616 hp at 592 ft lbs i went from high tens in the quarter to mid 8s but i had to run wrinkle wall slicks it would melt anything less

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

awww no nitro meth
ahh so its a type air inlet cooling

that is only a 50% bump. the procharger 8.5 lb kit increased mine by 65%. intercooled is the only way to go. with a 12lb kit i should be doubling my horsepower

wait a second. mid 8s with 616hp? was it a mustang go-kart or something?

TheAutumnWind is correct. Roots blowers are horrible. Twin Screw aren't too bad, but difficult to intercool. Centrifugal and turbo are the most efficient.

Last edited:

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, stopping by for a quick sneak and peek.
Likîng what I'm reading so far.
Will be back in awhile to dissect it completely.

Yess that exhaust and headers is full stainless. No worry about salt and rust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman