Preparing Denali for summer work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docster

Reaction score
Just looking for recommendations on setting up my 01 Denali for towing duty this summer.

I will be towing a 25ft Airstream, which weighs max 6k fully loaded (its 4100 lbs dry). Hitch weight is about 500lbs but i do have a WD hitch. Trips are all in Michigan, most 3-4 hours max, so no mountains, and an Airstream tows very nice, virtually no resistance vs a box trailer.

Anyways, I bought the Denali this fall to get a little more room and still be able to tow well enough. What should I do to get it up on preventative maintenance?

So far I have:
Flushed (2x) and changed oil.
Changed Front Diff Oil.
Dropped Trans pan and changed oil (2x).

Plan to:
Have front end gone over and alignment done

What else is good PM for me to get caught up on? Any must have "mods" prior to towing?

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd do the rear differential and cooling system as well. Definitely a brake controller and possibly upgrade the trans cooler as well as noted. I added a backup camera to my Yukon. Makes hitching up much better and even backing into campgrounds. I ran a cable the length of mine and added a camera on the rear bumper.

You're going to take a hit on your MPG, Airstream or not, so be ready for that.

DMAN14

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You could also add a wireless back up cam to the trailer. Get a monitor for 15 bucks, cam for 15 bucks, and a wireless receiver for another 15.

Oh also, they have those mirror extenders. Id recommend those or a set of towing mirrors. Like this, note I just grabbed the first link so make sure you find the ones that fit. http://www.amazon.com/****-10900-Ch...+mirrors&pebp=1422482509506&peasin=B001ABPKUS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fissel