PPV Alternator Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samsquanch

Reaction score
So the other day as I was driving my navigation unit suddenly turned off, my airbag light came on then a "service traction control" warning in the DIC appeared briefly. I peered over at the battery gauge and it was way below the usual 14v (Especially for a new battery less than a few months old) I opened up the Torque Pro app and my voltage was reading 12.1v... normally it's sitting comfortably around 14.4 to 14.6v without much wavering now it's anywhere between 12.3 and 13.8 more often than not. I have a 2010 Avalanche with just over 100,000km and figure maybe its time to replace the alternator now that I've got a 1400W stereo system a massive light bar and a couple other additional work lights attached to it along with some future power equipment i'd like to run.

I heard the Tahoe PPV 160 AMP alternator works pretty great and bolts right up without any further modification necessary. I was wondering if I had to upgrade any my existing electrical system in order to use it? I eventually plan to do the big 3 but more immediately would like to at least drop in a new generator to get going. I was given the GM part number 25877026 for $402.06 CAD. I went to GM Parts Depot Canada and its telling me the part number is for a re-manufactured alternator. If anybody can confirm if that is the correct P/N i'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger here and buy one.

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Youd be better off ordering a mechman alt or js alternator for close to the same price and higher amperage

OP
OP
Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Reaction score
If I upgrade to a mechman or higher output unit do I have to start worrying about different belts, pulley ratios or upgrading my charging system to support something like that?

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should do the big three no matter what. You may need a different belt depending if the pulley on the new alt is smaller. Sometimes they include a new belt for you.

Suburban 305

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the GM part number 25877026 is correct. I would add one more battery XS POWER D3400 $260 on the front driver side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aye_rod