Power programmers???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msj724

Reaction score
I have a Superchips, and can honestly say I am slightly disappointed. The only difference I can feel is with the shift points. Acceleration is the same, gas mileage didn't change (though I didn't buy it for gas mileage), passing power is still weak. I would wait for a BB Tune as well. I don't have my BB Tune yet, but from everything I hear it should be sweet. The only downside to BB Tune is how long you have to wait for it if you choose a data logging tune. Plan on at least two months, but I guess it will be worth it.

Mr. B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you guys getting improved shifting? Do the Denali's have a different transmission? Do the 5.3s have the six speed as well?

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
They get it through the Blackbear performance tune, cleans up alot of bs on these trucks!

msj724

Reaction score
I am certainly no expert, but from what I understand...tuning gives your vehicle a new personality. Where a stock 5.3 V8 shifts from 1st to 2nd gear at lets say 3000 RPM, a tuned 5.3 V8 can have the shift points adjusted (by adjusting the rev limiter, etc.) to say 3500 or 4000 RPM (these are all just example numbers). This is just one small piece of what can be changed in your vehicle from getting a tune.

Mr. B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what a tune does. I have a Denali, and Justin (Black Bear) told me he couldn't tune shifts on it without this new handheld. I guess since shifts can me modified on the 5.3s, it must be a different transmission from the Denali.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The TCM is located internal to the transmission, so he can only tune the TCM when doing an inperson tune.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what a tune does. I have a Denali, and Justin (Black Bear) told me he couldn't tune shifts on it without this new handheld. I guess since shifts can me modified on the 5.3s, it must be a different transmission from the Denali.

My Edge Evolution talks to the ECM and TCM.

I dont know if there is a difference in the trans from the denali to the 5.3l.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The difference would be in the transmission as to whether or not you have the 6 speed. Justin can tune them in person with his hardware, but can't ship out a spare TCM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n