Please help - service suspension system code DTC C0580 04

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjsche4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Please help cause this is driving me crazy trying to figure out what is causing this. So I have a 2008 Tahoe LTZ and the front right strut was broken so I had both front struts replaced with new ACdelco oem struts. The mechanic said when he replaced them that the front right strut was completely busted inside but I never had a code come up and never had a message on the computer indicating that their was a problem with the strut. I could tell by how it was driving that one of the struts was broken so that’s what led to me replacing them. Now ever since the new struts were put in I am getting the Service Suspension System message periodically. It seems to come on about 50% of the time I start the car. So I took it back to the shop and had them plug it in and the error code is C0580 Symptom 04 which reads “Right Front Actuator Circuit - Open Circuit”. Since these are the electronic struts I checked the plug connection that connects to the top of the strut and that looks fine and the wiring doesn’t appear to be split or damaged. I thought it might be the ride height sensor so I replaced that but that didn’t fix it. I found this service guide in the link below which is for a 2009 model which I believe would be the same for my 2008 and according to the code I’m getting, its saying that either the strut needs to be replaced or the ESC module needs to be replaced. Considering it’s a brand new strut I wouldn’t think that would be the problem and it sounds extremely rare that the ESC (Electronic suspension control) module would go bad so I am wondering if anyone has any other ideas or recommendations? Why would there not be an error message when the one busted strut was on and now there is an error message with a brand new strut? Would greatly appreciate any help you could provide.

http://www.suv-and-truck.ru/files/e...vice_manual/electronic suspension control.pdf

DTC C0580 04 - Right Front Actuator Circuit - Open Circuit

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ok one thing. The autoride struts are very sensitive. if you spin the shaft it will break off inside the unit. Are you sure the shock is not damaged ie shaft broken. Best way to make sure the shaft is not busted

1) check for leaks

2) jack up the truck and remove the 2 bolts that hold the shock to the a arm. When yo push down on the arm (with swaybar endlink not attachd) you should be able to see space and or move the shock very easy . If not that means the shaft busted and full tension is on that lower mount and the shock will need to be replaced. I had to literally get a spring compressor on one truck i did and by hand tighten it down with a wrench to hold tension then i got back and kicked the strut toward the engine. and thing just shot down since shaft was broken.

also are you sure the unit clicked ie you pushed it all the way down and it locked into place for the top harness to shock

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^x2. Lock on harness plug above strut on top of frame loose. Reach up there feel for the plug and give it a good squeeze. If it clicks it was loose. Happens when socket rubs the harness when removing and installing struts in the rear. It's attached to the top of the frame rail right above the top nut and bolt

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
^^^^x2. Lock on harness plug above strut on top of frame loose. Reach up there feel for the plug and give it a good squeeze. If it clicks it was loose. Happens when socket rubs the harness when removing and installing struts in the rear. It's attached to the top of the frame rail right above the top nut and bolt

thats another !!! i didnt even think about that one

OP
OP
J

jjsche4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The plug is on tight cause i heard the click. I also tried swapping the plugs left to right to see if the error code would change to the other side but it didnt so i dont think the plug is the problem. When you say "lock on harness plug" are you just referring to the same plug that clips on top of the strut or is there something else? Also the error is coming from the front, not the rear.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiggle each plug. The one on the ride height sensor and the one on the strut. Maybe a couple broken wire strands inside. Or just a bad connection. You will need someone in the truck to see if the message pops up.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
did you make sure rod didnt pop off the plastic cap end?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts