Pickin a cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hyde, would it be worth it to drop a Z06 cam in my 6.0, or should I run something bigger? I eventually would like to run a blower, but that is a year or two down the road. I'm just looking for gains while maintaining a near-stock idle for DD.

DallasD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to keep stock idle and get a few gains just upgrade the springs and allow the motor to work more efficient. BY letting the valve stay open longer you will make more power by freeing up hp and then just by your cam when you get the blower. Also do some e-fans and free up more hp that way. No sense in buying a cam now if it is not the best one for a blower that you are going to do anyway.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to keep stock idle and get a few gains just upgrade the springs and allow the motor to work more efficient. BY letting the valve stay open longer you will make more power by freeing up hp and then just by your cam when you get the blower. Also do some e-fans and free up more hp that way. No sense in buying a cam now if it is not the best one for a blower that you are going to do anyway.

I'm only asking about the Z06 cam in the 6.0 because of what Jenna posted...

JennaBear said:
Justin has a Z06 cam in his SSS I believe. I wouldn't want it in my 5.3L but it performs well with the blower on the 6.0L.

So if the Z06 cam will give decent gains by itself AND perform well with a blower, that might be the route I go with it. Not sure what I'll do yet.

NoChrome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres the specs on the z06 cams, but I would go with the other guys, wait to get the cam until you got the blower. Take care of the supporting stuff first... e-fans, exhaust, stall, p/p the tb ect.

zo6 385hp cam 204/211 valve lift 0.525/.0525 lsa 116
z06 405hp cam 214/218 valve lift 0.555/0.551 lsa 117.5

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the cam specs, but you guys are missing the point of my question here. I've already got the 6.0, it's sitting in a crate getting ready to be built up. I am going to cam it and beef up the valvetrain while it's out of the truck. Don't worry about the e-fans and stall and all that, I'll be doing that when I drop the new motor in.

All I want to know is whether or not the Z06 cam will play nice with the 6.0 without a blower, and what kind of gains I'd see with it. We have already established that the Z06 cam runs well when combined with a blower, thanks to Jenna. I'm just wondering what kind of gains I'd see running one in a n/a 6.0 until I can get with Jenna on a Magnacharger.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I say go with the Z06, will be good N/A and even better when you decide to go F/I. No need to swap out down the road.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blue, I had a shop for many years. I have several close friends who own big shops in Houston/Pearland. I know work offshore as a consultant for BP in GoM. I have built many high powered LS1, LS2 and to many to list small block chev and ford race motors. I love the LS platform and they make big numbers very easily.
coolio :D

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm only asking about the Z06 cam in the 6.0 because of what Jenna posted...

So if the Z06 cam will give decent gains by itself AND perform well with a blower, that might be the route I go with it. Not sure what I'll do yet.

We have already established that the Z06 cam runs well when combined with a blower, thanks to Jenna.

I say go with the Z06, will be good N/A and even better when you decide to go F/I. No need to swap out down the road.

I'm kinda new to the "what cam I need" game. But basically What your saying is if I have a 6.0, with basic mods (intake, exhaust, E-Fans, BB Tune), then I can get one of the Z06 stock cams to finish up the modding to my truck?

Which Z06 cam?
zo6 385hp cam 204/211 valve lift 0.525/.0525 lsa 116
z06 405hp cam 214/218 valve lift 0.555/0.551 lsa 117.5

I ask this because this is really all the performance mods I plan on doing. Unless there are other basic mods that can be done (besides LT headers)

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is another good question. If it were me, I'd pick the one that makes the biggest numbers....but then again, I don't know shit about this lol. And on top of that, "bigger numbers" when put in a vette that runs higher RPMs might not mean bigger numbers when the same cam is used in a truck.

Jenna, any input on this?

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It is a toss up, but it is more personal preference than anything. That being said, Justin's Z06 cam might be up for sale here soon :)