Performance exhaust... Which to buy?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got the Corsa installed on my 2015 Denali short body. Great sound, but loud. Actually looking to sell, if interested.

I sure wish I saw what you wanted it for before I bought my system... I would have jump on it! What a great deal.

That being said... I definitely dig my Magnaflow muffler with the flapper deleted. Great sound and great value.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When you sell it holler at me. I've been setting up tons of these with the MagnaFlow weld in unit. Sounds great can't go wrong

ZR WON

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All:

Not to hijack the thread with another potential option, but I called Borla tech this afternoon and was informed they make a kit specifically for GM Performance Parts, 3" and 3.5" systems WITH a flapper valve, which eliminates ALL resonance. It's a single source agreement where the only option you have is to buy it from a GM dealer. The Borla rep went on to say that GM actually has the 'flapper' fabricated by someone else and they personally assemble the exhaust 'kit' for distribution to dealers. This entire thing was so far fetched to me that I actually called a second time, got another tech and the exact same answer. Finally, this "GM kit" is dual outlet, right side just like the regular Unit, but does not come with any tips, they must be ordered separately, and through GM (probably because they want the bowtie on the tip instead of "Borla." Unfortunately, I've been on GMPP's website and there isn't even a listing for any performance parts for a Tahoe. There is a listing for both a 3 and 3.5" for a Sliverado (5.3 and 6.2) respectively (see link below), but I see no evidence of a flapper valve. Can anyone verify this as true, and if so (and more importantly), provide the GM part number? Finally, in looking at photos of the factory flapper, it looks hugely restrictive. With the understanding that any catback kit is going to produce marginal performance gains, I'd wonder if the flapper might eliminate ANY power gain at all. I guess the big thing is whether or not the 'regular' Borla kit has resonance without the flapper. If the answer is no, I'll just get the 'regular' Borla kit. If it does resonate, this mystery GMPP kit might be work exploring. Thoughts appreciated.

Brian A.
2015 PPV
Silver Ice Metallic

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/silverado-parts.html

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are these in parts catalog for silverado, doesnt mention borla, but does state - 304 Stainless Steel

Part Number Year Detail
23462044 2014-2016 Performance Exhaust – Silverado 1500 with 5.3L V-8 (LWB)
23462045 2014-2016 Performance Exhaust – Silverado 1500 with 5.3L V-8 (SWB)

dont see one for tahoe/burb

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is this from my local dealership for the Borla Exhaust system on the Tahoes:

2016-07-13_15-28-58.jpg

ZR WON

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now:

The big question is, does this kit truly have the flapper and is it really even needed? I'm still in a quandary as to why, if the 'regular' Borla kit has no resonance, anyone would spend several hundred dollars more for the GM kit (again, I see no evidence of a flapper but with such a small photo, it's nearly impossible to know)? Do cat backs that aren't from GM void the warranty?

Brian A.
2015 PPV
Silver Ice Metallic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo