Parasitic Draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alexquade

Reaction score
Not sure what your squeaking could be, and I know it's two totally different monsters, but my 11 Yukon xl was squeaking like freaking crazy over bumps. I thought it was seats not seated, they were fine, next was the hatch/glass. Checked the glass and when I opened it squeaked. Figured hinges. Totally wrong. The damn center bolt for the third brake light came loose. Tightened it down and squeak is gone!!! :chewie:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would get a new battery.
When I bought my '13 tahoe battery would die on occasion especially since its sits in the garage all week and is mostly driven on the weekends. I had to bring it in for warranty work a few months into owning it and that morning it was dead in my garage, (i was pissed because it was 430am and i didnt feel like dealing with that crap) i jump pack started it and drove to dealer.... they called me and said i needed a battery because they couldn't even get it to crank...new battery under warranty but it was dinky compared to what was in there.... and no problems since then.
i went to sears last year and bought 2 diehard gold batteries and hooked them up for my plow but that battery the stealership put in is still good and on a trickle carger in my garage.
Point is get a new battery....

TahoYukon Forum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue.

If the vehicle sits for more than two days, the battery is completely dead. Has happened about 6 times (only 6 times with it sitting that long). 2017 Yukon Denali XL with 5,800 miles. No aftermarket electronics or chargers plugged in. Dealer looked at it once already and said battery and charging system was OK. Key has not been left in it either. Back to dealer for this again and for a horribly squeaky rear suspension.

Try hooking a volt meter between power cable and battery and check amp draw, then recheck after disconnecting starter (should not have any draw.
Had faulty starters on a few vehicles that did this very same thing.
Or, connect voltmeter with batt Conn., Then remove 1 fuse at a time to eliminate circuits. Hope u get this fixed, it's gotta be annoying yo. :^)

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might have to pull some carpet but the ground on the amplifier, if you have one, could be poorly connected. I had a 300 amp installed several years ago and I finally pulled up all the wiring and found a rat's nest terrible install so I rewired it, took the paint off the grounding point and reinstalled. The sound is better and I don't seem to have the same parasitic drain.

OP
OP
Dlayne

Dlayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what your squeaking could be, and I know it's two totally different monsters, but my 11 Yukon xl was squeaking like freaking crazy over bumps. I thought it was seats not seated, they were fine, next was the hatch/glass. Checked the glass and when I opened it squeaked. Figured hinges. Totally wrong. The damn center bolt for the third brake light came loose. Tightened it down and squeak is gone!!! :chewie:

Yep, separate animal. Good to know. This is definitely coming from the driver side rear as it can be recreated by just rocking the vehicle. Probably nothing, but annoying as hell.

OP
OP
Dlayne

Dlayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Everything still stock, not even a phone charger. Haven't hard wired the radar detector yet just so everything is as it was from the factory. It was dead again this morning after sitting for the weekend in the garage. First time dealer said battery and charging system tested good. It goes back to them next week. I am thinking battery too, but refuse to buy one at this point as the vehicle is only 4 months old!!!!

If they don't find anything wrong when they call me, I will just leave it there at the dealer for a week and then when they go to get it....they can deal with it:)

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Everything still stock, not even a phone charger. Haven't hard wired the radar detector yet just so everything is as it was from the factory. It was dead again this morning after sitting for the weekend in the garage. First time dealer said battery and charging system tested good. It goes back to them next week. I am thinking battery too, but refuse to buy one at this point as the vehicle is only 4 months old!!!!

If they don't find anything wrong when they call me, I will just leave it there at the dealer for a week and then when they go to get it....they can deal with it:)
1 bad cell in the battery

k5blazerkeith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Our 2016 Yukon XL has same battery problems...dealer replaced it last year with new battery, was fine for a few months, now is happening all over again. Can't even leave the vehicle over the weekend without driving, or it will either be dead on Monday morning or barely start...it was in last month for loose driver's seat and broken latch on the rear cargo cover, and they said they tested battery and charging system, all came out "normal". I've probably jumped the vehicle with my Schumacher battery charger at LEAST 10 times in the year and a half we've had it...pathetic. Now, my driver's side window is crazy - push the button to get the window down, it goes down...but when you push the button to have window go back up, it does, but when the window reaches the top of its travel, it AUTOMATICALLY goes back down! And you can't reverse it, or stop it, it just goes up and down on it's own! Sometimes it stops at the top, most of the time it just keeps going up and down on its own...freaking great! I've got it on video for the dealer, going in for the last complimentary oil change soon. I've had GMs all my life, but this truck is the worst...and to think it was $70k, sad. Too many electronics I guess...glad I lease, I'd never want to be stuck with all these computers to go wrong after warranty.

OP
OP
Dlayne

Dlayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2016 Yukon XL has same battery problems...dealer replaced it last year with new battery, was fine for a few months, now is happening all over again. Can't even leave the vehicle over the weekend without driving, or it will either be dead on Monday morning or barely start...it was in last month for loose driver's seat and broken latch on the rear cargo cover, and they said they tested battery and charging system, all came out "normal". I've probably jumped the vehicle with my Schumacher battery charger at LEAST 10 times in the year and a half we've had it...pathetic. Now, my driver's side window is crazy - push the button to get the window down, it goes down...but when you push the button to have window go back up, it does, but when the window reaches the top of its travel, it AUTOMATICALLY goes back down! And you can't reverse it, or stop it, it just goes up and down on it's own! Sometimes it stops at the top, most of the time it just keeps going up and down on its own...freaking great! I've got it on video for the dealer, going in for the last complimentary oil change soon. I've had GMs all my life, but this truck is the worst...and to think it was $70k, sad. Too many electronics I guess...glad I lease, I'd never want to be stuck with all these computers to go wrong after warranty.

I feel your pain!! 4th Denali and can't believe GM can't get the little things right. Been spoiled by the Germans for the other vehicles in our stable when it comes to customer service.

My update to this is well...the same thing you got again! Battery and charging system OK. The other squeaky issue, said it was the e-brake cable and lubed and put in some rubber. Lasted 20 miles. Oh' and our only available dealer, the loners are through Enterprise and must be a GM vehicle (because if I drive a Kia or Hyundai I might change brands) so the only vehicle is a 15 passenger van that smells like a collage road trip. Paid for the Q5 rental myself!

Might just have to go with a double battery system with a Perko switch....very sad....

OP
OP
Dlayne

Dlayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would give an update. Finally, left it with the dealer for over a week. Of course, they couldn't get it to draw down after sitting inside for the weekend so they moved it outside to their lot. Fortunately, one of my son's friends is a tech there. I asked him if he could go out every other day to try to start it. Wasn't going to pick it up until it died on them. Finally, it died on them several times.

They thought it was connected to the Onstar since it only happened outside for them. Happened inside for me many times. Since, they now knew I wasn't nuts, they actually started testing each circuit like many of you suggested. These are trained professionals. WTF took so long? I know it is tough for them to justify the time to GM if they can't replicate the problem.

Bottom line, they determined the amp keeps coming on, but only intermittently. That would explain the quick draw down. New amp being installed this week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kwells