Painting / Poweder-Coating Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone do this? I'm thinking about doing it to the factory 16" wheels on my 99 OBS Tahoe. I'm thinking black or a dark gunmetal. Anyone have pictures? Or a how-to?

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
Search button is your best friend. I know other guys have mentioned it in your other threads.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Atomichoe did if you wanna search for it.

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i powdercoated the wheels on my bmw 540 wagon a year or 2 ago, gloss black, haven't had any trouble with it. i got mine done here in SW LA at an industrial maintenance place and only paid like 35 or 40/wheel to do it. came out fine. anyhow, what i'm getting at is that you may be able to find someplace that does powdercoating as a service for the larger whole, than a specialty niche like auto rims, or engine parts (like a performance shop, etc.). i don't know how much it's supposed to cost, i've heard of people paying several hundred dollars to have theirs p.c.'d. then again, i did have to have the tires broken down off the rim, remounted and rebalanced, so i'm probably another 30-40/wheel. but all things considered, i was probably only in the job for around 200ish. imo, p.c.'ing is the way to go. haven't chipped or peeled at all. although i am careful not to curb my rims and obviously don't go off-road in my soccer-mom-mobile.

metelhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone do this? I'm thinking about doing it to the factory 16" wheels on my 99 OBS Tahoe. I'm thinking black or a dark gunmetal. Anyone have pictures? Or a how-to?

Yeah- I just did a set of 17" OEM tahoe wheel in a Semi Black with a clear coat and they came out amazing- here are some pics! I may either sell these or use them for my winter wheels...as my wheel project has just changed again- this time I'm pwder coating a set of OEM 20" Black...I'll be dropping them off at the coaters in the Am- so In a week about I'll post the results...

Attachments

• Black9.jpg
    Black9.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Black2.jpg
    Black2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 18
  • Black5.jpg
    Black5.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 15

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
painting is cheap and a lot easier, powder coat is more expensive,longer process and more durable. It depends how fat your wallet is and the time you have to keep your truck on blocks or stands.

To do all 4 of my rims it cost me 12 bucks in powder and that's it. I have a tire machine and balance in my shop, and i took the rims to school at Wyotech, there i media blasted them then powder coated them myself :)

They say powder coat will not chip and all that ********, but its practically just like paint to me. i smacked a wrench today on the backside of a rim to see what would happen, chipped.. sooooo its up to your hombre! lol

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...

Yiur lucky SOB I paid 100 per rim and nother guy wanted to charge me 150 per rim. I didn't negoiate price...prolly should have. Sometimes when you do that i feel quality goes down. Doing it all over again b/c I'm a bargain hunter and DIY guy, I would have done it myself b/c My rims where chrome and could not be sand blasted. The chrome to be etched. Then P/C'd apply. I had them on for a half summer and nothing, and had them on a few 2-3 weeks ago at most. I'll let you guys know how it goes. If they curbed to the piont where I don't like it...I'm going to try them myself!

I got GLOSS BLACK!

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

before

1016091407.jpgdownsized_1016091421.jpgdownsized_1016091117.jpg

after

1102091110.jpg1102091109.jpgDSC00666.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StayStoney

Latest posts