Paint Protection/Waxing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the latest thing on the market? Last two Denali's I have used Zanio, but it requires quite a bit of work. Is there a better product out now for a new investment?

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use meguiars NXT. Easy to apply and remove and looks good. A clay bar to start always helps too and isn't too much work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duramax05blk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black magic its a long process but results are worth it on dark colors only have a black and dark green colored vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Excuse my grammar the iPhone makes me iStupid!

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use meguiars NXT. Easy to apply and remove and looks good. A clay bar to start always helps too and isn't too much work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x2
Thought I would give this stuff a shot and really liked it. It's hard to make a white vehicle really pop and this seemed to help a lot

chevyman2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wash, iron x, wash again, clay, wash again, adams two step wash again, followed by intensive oil and polish cleaner.

Then cover with opti-coat 2.0... for years of lasting shine!

OP
OP
Reels

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I was going to do all that, I would go the Zanio route again. Great stuff. I'm a couple weeks from 50 and much lazier now.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was going to do all that, I would go the Zanio route again. Great stuff. I'm a couple weeks from 50 and much lazier now.

I can certainly sympathize with that, as I'll be 60 this year.

With any product, be it wax, a sealant, or coating, prep should always be done, this is where all products then work their best, last the longest. I have used many of the Zaino goods years ago, good yeah, they're OK, but can be tricky I found dependent upon weather conditions. Sometimes I've used Z2 and after 1/2 hour, it is easy off, other times it has been more difficult.

Products such as CarPro's Iron-X are truly amazing, this goes beyond what clay will do, removing all iron particales from paint, wheels. All vehicles you'll find usually are quite a mess in regards to iron contamination, even a brand new vehicle off the truck. Claying gets some, but only from what's on "top" of the paint by shaving it off.

I did my white Tahoe about 14 months ago with Iron-X. There were literal 1000's of little purple spots all over, as this product changes color to purple in the presence of Iron particles. Downside of the regular Iron-X is a horrid smell like rotten eggs-sulphur, but this stuff really works, and is a mainstay stable in many pro detailer's arsenals, as well as the hobbyist who wants the best products to clean-prep their paint.

Wash, Iron-X, Clay, Polish, a paint cleanser, then seal wax or coat.

The coatings are initially more expensive, but offer better, much longer protection than any wax-sealant, and over the long run are actually more economical to use, and do make future upkeep a lot easier.

I myself have recently gotten a bottle of Carpro CQuartz UK, and will be doing the Tahoe within the next month. I have used Carpro's CQuartz DLX on all trim pieces, and it is a fantastic long lasting protectant-restorer that does not wash off.

The entire Carpro Line is a fantastic line of products, seems all do what they claim them to do.

There are many other very good coatings today, very easy to use, about as simple as a detailer spray to apply. Apply to squeaky clean paint with an application, thinner is better, go back with MF Towel to insure no high spots, don't wet the vehicle for the recommended period, and you are good to go. Not just for months, but for years. Very hydrophobic, virtually blow torch proof, more resistant to bird droppings, oil gasoline, acids-alkalies, etc.

And IMO, there are better sealants that I personally like better than Zaino, such as Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, Menzerna Powerlock as two such sealants.

Megs stuff is OK, like NXT #21, or #20 Sealants, usually easily gotten locally from the big parts stores. Generally very easy to work with also, and so are the two Sealants I mention earlier above.

Surely lots of amazing products out there today, look, and research sites like Autogeek, and Autopia for care products, they have 1000's of the latest cutting edge goods

Carpro USA is another site, and product brand which I highly recommend checking out, great products, and great service too.

---------- Post added at 07:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

Oh, and I forgot another exceptional line of products out there, which you may be able to get locally at your Car Quest, or NAPA Dealer, Duragloss!

The entire Duragloss line of products are fantastic, very inexpensive, their sealants like 105, 111, 501 are all great, durable, and are very inexpensive, something I cannot say about Zaino stuff. Their other products such as their car shampoos, vinyl-rubber protectants also work very well, and I always keep their Aquawax Spray, and Car Shampoo in my arsenal. I do have all their sealants, all very very good.

It has even been said that Duragloss makes Zaino, but without the marked up prices.

The Duragloss #111 Sealant does look quite similar to Zaino Z2, contains no abrasives or cleaners. Duragloss #501, a Marine-RV Sealant is also very good, has more paint cleaners in it, to clean up paint that is filthy, and more neglected, and although it doesn't say use for cars, it is a very good one for such uses.

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 AM ----------

True Glazes "fill" swirls, add gloss, but do not permanently correct paint to remove scratches-swirls, or dullness of paint, this is what true polishes are designed to do. To remove such paint damage, enhance gloss to the best it can be, then lock in that shine with the final protectant.

But many polishes can contain oils, as will glazes. Thus when you go to apply a wax, sealant, or a coating, they will not properly bond to the paint.

Some people will simply use a 15% mix-dilution of Isopropyl Alcohol-Distilled Water and clean MF Towels as a final wipe before applying a final protectant.

Or others will use a product such as Carpro Eraser, or other specifically designed paint cleanser prior to the application of wax, sealant, or coating.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts