P0420 Code after DOD Release

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OklabyGodhoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently did a full DOD release using a kit from Texas Speed. New cam, new VLOM plate everything new. Had the computer flashed by the guy that CPR recommended. A week after the car starts throwing a P0420 code. Tried using Berryman’s as well as a gallon of Lacquer Thinner with 10 gal of fuel. Still throwing the code. Almost forgot also new exhaust manifold gaskets.

Looking for ideas or if anyone faced this problem after a DOD release. I’ve got almost $4K in this engine now and it’s pissing me off…..HELP!!!

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that code trips when the computer doesn't like how the value of the upstream O2 sensor and downstream O2 sensor are adding up. Might just be a bad cat

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently did a full DOD release using a kit from Texas Speed. New cam, new VLOM plate everything new. Had the computer flashed by the guy that CPR recommended. A week after the car starts throwing a P0420 code. Tried using Berryman’s as well as a gallon of Lacquer Thinner with 10 gal of fuel. Still throwing the code. Almost forgot also new exhaust manifold gaskets.

Looking for ideas or if anyone faced this problem after a DOD release. I’ve got almost $4K in this engine now and it’s pissing me off…..HELP!!!
I've done a DoD delete and did not have this problem. My bet is that it's unrelated. You need to get a scan tool that can read live data like the Tech2 and take a look at your upstream and downstream O2 sensors in real time. Might be as simple as it being time to replace the O2 sensors.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this a bigger than stock cam? or doesn't tx speed sell a stock replacement.

I am still kinda in shock it costs 4k$ to replace a stock cam in a ls. man these used to be budget motors to build.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would guess if the code did not pop up right away after the tune and all that then you went out a "tested" out how it runs now and this is the result of that.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is this a bigger than stock cam? or doesn't tx speed sell a stock replacement.

I am still kinda in shock it costs 4k$ to replace a stock cam in a ls. man these used to be budget motors to build.
I think most of their cam and valve spring kits are 700-1000 or so, including their
DOD delete cams and related dod delete parts are another few hundred...maybe he also added AFR heads, arp head studs, etc...

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think most of their cam and valve spring kits are 700-1000 or so, including their
DOD delete cams and related dod delete parts are another few hundred...maybe he also added AFR heads, arp head studs, etc...

ahh maybe it's the labor costs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gmdealerguy