P0101 Mass Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WBrown812

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe LT 4WD 5.3L/4L60E that keeps giving a P0101 code. I have replaced the MAF sensor, MAP sensor, checked all air intake piping, smoke checked the intake system with no leaks showing, back pressure tested the catalytic converters, new air filter. I'm lost on what it could be. I've also tried a couple different MAF sensors to be safe. Does anybody have any insight on what I could be missing?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, welcome to your first posting on the forum. You have definitely shot the parts cannon at this problem. Like @wjburken said, if installing new parts do not work then likely something deeper is afoot here. Inspect and verify all wiring connections are clean and tight and there is continuity downstream. Maybe add a separate ground wire to see what happens, can't hurt.

OP
OP
W

WBrown812

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have a scan tool that shows you live data for the MAF and MAP? Might show you if they are dropping out. Might have a bad wire harness or ground wire. Just something I’d check if it were my vehicle.
I do have a scan tool to check. It will be tomorrow before I'm back around it. I'll get the stored data and live data. Also, the issue only occurs under acceleration when going from 2nd to 3rd gear. It doesn't want to shift properly at that time as well.

OP
OP
W

WBrown812

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, welcome to your first posting on the forum. You have definitely shot the parts cannon at this problem. Like @wjburken said, if installing new parts do not work then likely something deeper is afoot here. Inspect and verify all wiring connections are clean and tight and there is continuity downstream. Maybe add a separate ground wire to see what happens, can't hurt.
I've checked power supply, and grounds at the connector and checked the harness all the way through with no luck. I've had the harness completely out.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
W

WBrown812

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What brand MAF? These vehicles are finicky with nonOEM Electronics. Delphi is OEM on my 2002 Yuk BTW which I changed last year. Beware of fakes from Amazon.
I bought one off of rock auto, not sure what the brand was. I also have a 99 Silverado so I swapped them around. Silverado drove fine with no issues, Tahoe still had the same problem. The shop I had it at replaced the MAF again because they were unsure of what could be the issue as well after 4 hours of diag. I'll have to check what brand is in it now.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am no expert but it's probably going to take a bit more in depth diagnosis
I would be looking at what the maf is doing, versus iat/map/throttle body/coolant temp.
and see what is out of whack
sometimes it can be the harness I know you stated you had it out but did you check each pin with a meter? and wiggle it around and see if there is a break anywhere
when shifting and accelerating the engine is moving back and forth a little so check all the wiring & grounds, see if anything is worn on the bottom where it sits on or touches another surface use your fingers and feel for any kind of worn spots.
maybe even pull the ecm harness off and look for any signs of corrosion or water intrusion.
the shifting issue is very much likely related to the maf problem once you get the maf issue addressed the shifting problem should go away

OP
OP
W

WBrown812

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe LT 4WD 5.3L/4L60E that keeps giving a P0101 code. I have replaced the MAF sensor, MAP sensor, checked all air intake piping, smoke checked the intake system with no leaks showing, back pressure tested the catalytic converters, new air filter. I'm lost on what it could be. I've also tried a couple different MAF sensors to be safe. Does anybody have any insight on what I could be missing?
Do you have a scan tool that shows you live data for the MAF and MAP? Might show you if they are dropping out. Might have a bad wire harness or ground wire. Just something I’d check if it were my vehicle.
I have attached the freeze frame data for the P0101. I drove it around a little bit today and it never did mess up of course so I was unable to get live data at the time it occurred. I will keep test driving it every day after work. I know as soon as I go to drive it 35 miles home it will mess up... Let me know if anything in the attachments look off to you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-27-18-25-50.png
    Screenshot_2023-06-27-18-25-50.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2023-06-27-18-25-58.png
    Screenshot_2023-06-27-18-25-58.png
    215.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2023-06-27-18-25-54.png
    Screenshot_2023-06-27-18-25-54.png
    224.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2023-06-27-18-26-08.png
    Screenshot_2023-06-27-18-26-08.png