P0011 code and plan of attack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck has an issue with surging power levels during light acceleration or constant throttle. RPM's will fluctuate a few 100 back and forth.

P0011 code tripped on highway 6+ months ago, but never again...until this week.

I have narrowed it down to prob being an issue with the VVT.

Plan: replace cam position sensor, the magnetic actuator, and the bolt behind it that goes into the motor.

Water pump needs to come off, so do I need gasket(s)?

Any thoughts on the issue and my plan going forward?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dirty or the wrong viscosity of oil or oil additives can affect its performance. Part of the troubleshooting involves pulling the water pump and inspecting the wiring for damage and of course, using the Tech2 to command the CMP to different positions and see if it meets them.

How many miles do you have on your truck and it looks to me like a Denali? Which year?

OP
OP
Denali2k8

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just under 100k miles, 2008 Yukon Denali

Oil is amsoil full synthetic 5w-30. Not dirty, still early for oil change.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fortunately, for me, i havent had to mess with the GM vvt components. my engine was pretty low mileage when i did the cam swap - i did still replace the cam bolt "valve" however, and installed the limiting block.
There really isnt much to the VVT system as a whole other than what youve mentioned along with the VVT actuator on the end of the cam itself. Sounds like you keep a pretty good eye on the oil level- Oil pressure look good? Im not sure how generic the P0011 code is, if a tech2 type scanner will pinpoint the issue a little more in depth.

at cruising RPM the code poping up makes sense, as that is where the stock tune manipulates the VVT and it would make sense that the valve and/or solenoid is failed.
under light acceleration it should be in it's "parked" position held by an internal spring... I will see if i still have a copy of the stock tune but i dont think it calls for any actuation low rpm/low load
i've never heard of it happening but it's possible the spring in the actuator has broken and the valve is over shooting the retard when its called for and can't hold the parked position but i would imagine you'd have a lot more and constant codes

OP
OP
Denali2k8

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did u do for the cam swap? Obviously if the actuator and bolt valve and cam position sensor fixes my issues, it's not terribly expensive but im open to other options

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea definitely, should be able to get it all done without digging into engine to much also.

Cam in mine is a 218/228 .600/.600 113lsa vvt cam , from Texas speed. Deleted the AFM lifters, pac 1219x springs

OP
OP
Denali2k8

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$50 local shop gonna diagnose the p0011 code before I dig in...

OP
OP
Denali2k8

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$235 later....cam position sensor was bad. Then is snapped off in the motor. So long story short it took forever.

I was also told my converter is showing signs of starting to go bad. Said like $1k to replace or let it go and eventually it will turn into a whole trans rebuild. Not sure of timetable obviously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts