Overheating transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenW

Reaction score
2015 -Yukon XL Denali with 190k miles. Transmission overheated 2 days ago. Changed out the fluid and filter (overdue). Nothing remarkable on the magnet or in the fluid - just dirty.

Just drove it after the change out and temp was 225-250 and rising in 25 min of driving. Am I just screwed into a transmission replacement?

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this year have the thermal control valve on the side of the transmission where the cooling lines connect? That could be stuck or plugged somehow.

OP
OP
S

StephenW

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately I am not savy on the system. I would love a diagram to see how everything flows and what could be a fail point. Like - is there a TXV or thermostat that could have failed?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cooler Bypass Valve aka Thermal Bypass Valve aka Transmission thermostat.

Check out the Tech Svc Bulletion if you havent see it already. There's an updated CBV from GM but it simply lowers the temp the thermostat begins to open. Id rather delete it all together...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts