Opinions on 01 Denali "Lift"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

sdgros01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes go for them!

Thanks for the reply. In your other thread I saw that you stated that the denali escalade z71 all shared the same HD coil. Did you mean that all the Autoride equipped models shared the same assistance spring with the nivomat shock? The other thread really through me off so that why I started a new one.

Thanks again guys now just to piece it all together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
For z71 coils are MOOG acceptable?

Yep! Autoplicity had the best shipped price at the time for me.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

IDK man, I went with Z71's and 1.5" spacer and about 2.5" cranked on my 3" keys. Super level, better than factory ride (Thanks to the Bilsteins). Worked out really well for me.

Yea your rig looks great! Your build was what I was basing mine off of. Unfortunately maybe I was at the mercy of the shop doing the work. Not sure why they didn't just crank it in the front to level it. I was in the process of learning at the time too, so I was trusting their judgement. At any rate I'm happy with mine for now. I still have the spacers so maybe down the road I'll swap them back in and crank the front more.

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep! Autoplicity had the best shipped price at the time for me.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Yea your rig looks great! Your build was what I was basing mine off of. Unfortunately maybe I was at the mercy of the shop doing the work. Not sure why they didn't just crank it in the front to level it. I was in the process of learning at the time too, so I was trusting their judgement. At any rate I'm happy with mine for now. I still have the spacers so maybe down the road I'll swap them back in and crank the front more.

For sure man. Do you have aftermarket 3" keys? If so, just head down the the shop and ask them to throw those spacers in their and crank the keys until it sits level. Should only be about 100 bucks for the labor and you can get that extra inch!

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. In your other thread I saw that you stated that the denali escalade z71 all shared the same HD coil. Did you mean that all the Autoride equipped models shared the same assistance spring with the nivomat shock? The other thread really through me off so that why I started a new one.

Thanks again guys now just to piece it all together

Yes all the Esky, Denalis, and Z71 share the same coil. That's why they are always higher in the rear. Easiest way to know is counts the coils and overall length. The non-z71 are 15" long and HD coils are 17.5" long (rough numbers off memory). I think the coils are 3 more turns.

I can't confirm if the SLT and LT autoride vehicles share the same coil as I havent taken one apart yet. However a friend of mine did one of those vehicles and if I recall I don't think they were the HD coils. Not positive on this topic...

OP
OP
S

sdgros01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So is hoss right or are you? If they are the same springs then why would one need to upgrade to the MOOG z71's

criffaaa1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per 01konvict
Just for the record if you have a Denali then you already had Z71 springs (Heavy Duty). There is a picture of the difference in this thread. Denalis, Z71 Hoes, and Escalades all had the heavy duty springs. Anyhow your fender #s are correct and pretty good gain! Mine measures between 39.5-40" on the front and 40.5-41" rear with same tire, so I would say yours is within the norm or better.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
So is hoss right or are you? If they are the same springs then why would one need to upgrade to the MOOG z71's

One easy way for you to find out. Crawl under the rear bumper and count coil turns on your springs. Then compare them to pics in my key/spacer thread. Judging by your sig picture the rear looks pretty tall so I'm confident you have the HD coils already. People upgrade the z71 coils for all other models except the ones that already have it.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One easy way for you to find out. Crawl under the rear bumper and count coil turns on your springs. Then compare them to pics in my key/spacer thread. Judging by your sig picture the rear looks pretty tall so I'm confident you have the HD coils already. People upgrade the z71 coils for all other models except the ones that already have it.

coils.JPG

IMG_0089.jpg

Z71/denali/escalade top pic vs. LT/LS/SLE/SLT stock

They are taller and have more coils, about 17.5" to 15". They also handle 800lb more payload. Hope this clears up questions about z71 springs.

I looked it up for you. Looks like 9 coils on the HD spring

OP
OP
S

sdgros01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay I do in fact have 9 coils so I do have the HD as 01Konvict suggested. Thanks for the clarification on that Konvict as well Autumn.

With 157k should I replace them with new MOOG or just throwthe spacers in and call it a day. 50 Bucks is 50 bucks.

Thanks again everyone for the input and info

hoss08

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The coils I personally pulled out of my 04 Escalade with factory rear air shocks had 6 coils. The Z coils I put in had 8. If your Denali is anything like my Esky (I bet it is) it'll have the weaker 6 rung coils. Both the Denali and Escalade are very luxury based trucks aim at the older generation who cares about ride quality, ever heard the saying "rides like a Caddy"? Just in case grandpa decided to tow something, GM backed up those weaker springs with the autoride shocks. Those autoride shocks were meant to pick up the weight the weaker coils could not on their own. Like I said before those air shocks are weight bearing, meaning (I have personally seen this) if you replace them with a static shock you'll loose ride height. Mine lost a little over an inch. Those air shocks are holding up some of the weight of your truck along with the coils. Personally I wouldn't dream of trying to tow with that combo, you'll lay frame with any kind of tongue weight. If height and better towing are what your after get a set of Z coils and 5100s. I can only give my opinion based on what I have personally seen and changed on my own truck. Maybe GM offered a heavy duty trailering package on the Esky and Denali but I never heard of it and I sure didn't have it either. But better yet just do what konvict suggested and crawl under there and count the rungs on your coils. Just remember don't count the little ones at each end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
doakes32