Onstar remote start burning up starters??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTcrash722

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have not seen anything about this maybe someone can help out... I have a 2018 Tahoe and in 1 year of owning it... using onstar remote start... I have been going through starters 2 in 1 year. If I remote start my Tahoe in the am.. and then use the key later that day the starter will not engage. Is this common.... am I doing something wrong? Thanks for the help.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not seen anything about this maybe someone can help out... I have a 2018 Tahoe and in 1 year of owning it... using onstar remote start... I have been going through starters 2 in 1 year. If I remote start my Tahoe in the am.. and then use the key later that day the starter will not engage. Is this common.... am I doing something wrong? Thanks for the help.
Never heard of anything like this. I used the onstar app for my 13 tahoe since day 1 and i use it in my 19 yuk often.
I use remote start from the fob daily winter/summer on both also.
Try key starting only for a few days then use onstar while you’re standing next to truck and listen to what it does.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oem starters? if not then this is your issue.

OP
OP
C

CTcrash722

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
oem starters? if not then this is your issue.
The dealer replaced it last year cause I only had the truck for 2 months. Not sure if it was oem or not. I was thinking about putting a better quality one in...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dealer replaced it last year cause I only had the truck for 2 months. Not sure if it was oem or not. I was thinking about putting a better quality one in...
if it was a gm dealer then it should be oem, it would also show the part number on your paperwork.
the next question is are you sure it is the starter and not the starter cable and/or ground?.
these cables on the k2's are known to not have enough insulation on them and they burn up and/or corrode inside.
a voltage drop test would determine if this is the case or not. I replaced mine myself the cable was toast when I was under the truck just looking at stuff you could see it was burnt looking the new one I bought has a lot more insulation wrap on it.
some have even reported the same cable touching on the heat shroud and shorting out.

OP
OP
C

CTcrash722

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if it was a gm dealer then it should be oem, it would also show the part number on your paperwork.
the next question is are you sure it is the starter and not the starter cable and/or ground?.
these cables on the k2's are known to not have enough insulation on them and they burn up and/or corrode inside.
a voltage drop test would determine if this is the case or not. I replaced mine myself the cable was toast when I was under the truck just looking at stuff you could see it was burnt looking the new one I bought has a lot more insulation wrap on it.
some have even reported the same cable touching on the heat shroud and shorting out.
Thank you. I will get under and start checking out the wiring

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I will get under and start checking out the wiring
ya look right where the cable bolts to the starter, wiggle it if seems questionable at all I would replace it.
if you have a volt meter you can get a helper and use the meter right there at the starter connection and see what the voltage is when the key is turned to start or the start button is pushed. if it reads 10.5 or less then the cable is def not good.
put the postive probe on that bolt and find a good ground spot and watch what it shows (when you try to start it)
12v without starting it doesn't count because it's not under a load.

Reaction score
Does your Tahoe have that auto stop/start crap that shuts off and restarts when at a redlight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparkybuilt63